MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 12-01-2004, 11:27 AM
Skilled

'Eutectoid' steel - As God intended?

As I learn more on this knife steel business, I'm getting more drawn into the simple things: simple steel, natural materials, etc.

One thing that has always had me wondering is the eutectoid point (.8% carbon). It's the kind of thing that makes me sit up and take notice:

The lowest austenite temperature is when the carbon is at .8%. On either side of that percentage the temp goes up.

Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy thinking about things like that. Did God design the relationship between iron and carbon to make it so versatile on purpose? Did he intend for steel to be used for most tool applications right at .8%?

I'm just being half silly. Maybe there's a reason so many carbon knifes are made out of 1084?

I guess I only mention this because I'm seeking to settle in on 2 steels for most of my stuff. I picked S30V for stainless. Now I need something for carbon. Heck picking steel at the eutectoid point seems as good a reason as any.

Steve

(Maybe this post belongs in the Outpost, but those guys are really weird. I'm just mildly so. )

Old 12-01-2004, 12:35 PM
Steel Addict

Did He set it up that way on purpose? I'm one who says most emphatically yes. "The heavens declare..." A friend likes to say that all creation is just a visual aid for insight into God.

Was He thinking of knifemakers? Hmm. Like I said, I'm one who says certainly He made everything the way it is on purpose. I'm just a little wary of the why, except to say that He does "cause all things to work together for good..."

So am I just mildly weird, or really, really so? Not that I mean to make any adjustments.

Steve

Old 12-01-2004, 12:38 PM
Living Legend

There is order from the Source greater than we will ever fully understand. Occasionally we "discover" small parts of that order, and marvel, and learn, only infrequently stopping to realize it's been there from the beginning......

BTW, Steve, judgements like "mildly" are subjective and relative!!!

Last edited by fitzo; 12-01-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:50 PM
Master

Whether or not it's a gift - take advantage of it , it's got a lot going for it !
Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Skilled

The guys who are into edged prybars will want to lean toward that angled area on the left, those who are into cutting for a long time will lean toward that angled area on the right. Folks who want a little of both, without all the hassle, will indeed find that line down the middle very appealing
Old 12-02-2004, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

A book that i have lists the eutectoid point at .83%. Sounds awfully close to 1084 to me.
Moderation in all things? Sounds good.
Gary

Old 12-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Skilled

fitzo - looks who's calling who weird!?

The more I think about it, the more I just have to do it. Thanks for the input. Yeah I suppose there's varying carbon contents for varying uses. Certainly cast iron has it's place. But, for knives, .... I just have to use 1084 that's all, it's one of those things.

I've some 1070 (which is close) to use up. There's a little 1095 left, never had much luck with that stuff. Leave it out in the rain or something.

And some 5160 .... I'll just give that away or use for practice. All those impurities (just kidding, it's a great steel for those people who put performance over steel the way God intended it )

Then I have some custom 1084/1095 mix from Duncan. That I'm gonna use! That's real damascus. Nickle in a knife blade - oh yuck.

Kelly Cuples (sp?) needs a phone call from me looks like.

Steve

Old 12-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Living Legend

Steve, I make no claims to "normal"; mainstream has never been my bailiwick! A difficult childhood and, ahem, the 70's assured that. I am simply me, for better or worse! I didn't call you weird, you did. I was simply pointing out that descriptors such as "mild" or "wild" are always subjective, relative to some referent. When one is supplying the descriptor from the first person perspective, it is always of questionable accuracy, having that bias of self-evaluation.

Since we don't know each other except through posts on the forum, it would be most difficult for either to know in actuality how "weird" the other is. We could each be playing some devils-advocate game for fun here on the forums, for instance. Unfortunately, in my case, those who know me well are pretty certain of calling me such with conviction.

If I have offended, then certainly I offer my apologies, because I always reserve serious insults for when I am upset. If you are speaking with humor, then I am enjoying it.....

Now, back on topic, I wonder if God actually made steel; meaning, has (unoxidized) iron carbide ever been discovered in meteorites or anything? Then, the question begs, how much carbon did it have?

I suppose one has to be a little weird to even ask questions like that. <sigh>

BTW> Gary, welcome back! I sincerely hope you are on the road to a full recovery after your ordeal. God Bless and Protect you!

Last edited by fitzo; 12-02-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzo
If you are speaking with humor, then I am enjoying it.....

Brother fitzo, only in humor. I perceived from the beginning of our relationship that you were a kindred spirit. Which of us is the weirder ... well we'd have to have a jury. (I would hope to win, but be known I am afraid you would.)

So, let's never again be misunderstood - weirdo.

Steve

Old 12-02-2004, 09:51 PM
Living Legend

Hey Steve if your looking to throw out some steel i live near redwood city and would be willing to pick it up and save you the trouble

Old 12-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Steel Addict

I kind of like all of those carbides that form after the eutectoid point. Of course, I'm not a prybar knife guy. You guys can think some more about that eutectoid point and I'll just keep on liking 1095 and 52100 better.
Old 12-02-2004, 11:19 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
So, let's never again be misunderstood - weirdo.
Steve
That is what I suspected...... Thank you! At this point in life I seldom take anything seriously except for unintentionally offending someone. Thus, I prefer to offer the olive branch rather than piss someone off. Glad you understood. I am happy to know I can joke with another the way I can with IG! Life would be boring without those interchanges.

I am also honored that you would consider me at least an equal weirdo; not having the benefit of living in California, I have the natural deficit of Midwest squareness to overcome. Apparently I'm doing ok!

Last edited by fitzo; 12-02-2004 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Skilled

Fitzo - you also be one funny man (I'm an English major) - for being in the midwest and all. Actually in CA I'm considered a big time weirdo - Insanely Christian, seven children, eat my pets (read: raise meat lambs), make knives, only been married once.

McAhron: I don't have very much of that steel. Only enough to make a few knives (I'm learning forging). So there isn't enough to make your trip worthwhile. On the other hand I would welcome a visit with another maker.

Larrin: Do people actually use carbon blades!? (Half in jest) Seems like collectors buy carbon. Users buy stainless.

Steve

Old 12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Living Legend

Your website is always a nice visit, Steve. Your obvious love of family is mirrored in the smiles and happiness of your kids. The picture of the "elves" is precious, and always makes me smile. Quite a Blessing!

I am encouraged to know that there are those with a brand of "weird" in CA that offer a leavening effect to the more outre' varieties! Bravo! Unfortunately, that's not what usually makes the news back here in the Heartland.....
Old 12-03-2004, 08:12 PM
Living Legend

No worries about the steel i got more than enough already.I am honored about the offer to meet and will take you up in the offer in the future,very busy with the holidays and all,so thanks Steve.McAhron

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives