MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 06-08-2008, 08:48 PM
Skilled

Tragedy at "Sullivan's" holster shop

I regret to inform you folks that Greg Gutcher's leather shop, Sullivan's Holster Shop, has been lost, if not all, certainly part, to a fire this evening. The fire started in the hardware shop, located in front of Sullivan's. As those of you know who have been there, Greg's shop was a seperate building behind the hardware store, but a connecting awning and cover helped the fire to spread to Greg's shop. The front 1/3 of his shop is destroyed. The ceiling is collapsed and it will be tomorrow morning before Greg can gain access to the inside and access the damage. Greg will let Randall know the results. He has said that all of his holster molds, which were made of aluminum have been destroyed! The only good news, if any can be found in this tragedy, is that the machines were located in the rear and "may", I repeat "may" be salvagable. More will be known tomorrow. Greg is going to look for an alternative shop location. Both buildings were quite old and re-building them is unlikely. I think that Greg, his wife Fran and son Danny, along with their employee, Chris and all of their families could use our prayers right now. I just thought that you folks would want to know. Best for now, Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 06-08-2008, 11:03 PM
Skilled

Thank you Cap for sharing the tragic news. All of us who have done business with Greg over the years, know him to be a fine gentleman and a superb craftsman. I hope that all will not be lost and that he can quickly find a suitable new location and get his machinery repaired. This news really just breaks my heart! He has always been such an honest and caring individual. He will certainly be in my most positive thoughts in the days to come.

seuss
Old 06-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Steel Addict

Cap, Thank you for letting us know about this terrible incident. I, and I'm sure everyone here will have Greg and his family is our thoughts and prayers.

Wayne

Old 06-09-2008, 07:00 AM
Skilled

Update...as of 7 A.M.

I just spoke to Greg and passed on our thoughts and prayers to him. Michael Mason (fellow Randall knife nut from Orlando) has pledged the use of his heavy equipment trailer. Mike is in the tractor supplies business so I am sure the trailer is heavy-duty enough for the job at hand. Greg is going to be in need of a fork lift. Anyone in the Central Fla. area have access to one?
The good news is two-fold. Greg seems in good spirits. Secondly: He had just ordered a new "clicker" and it has not yet arrived, therefore, if the old one is damaged, he's still O.K. on that procedure. Ya'll can email me or give me a call at 1-407-436-1113 if you have any items needed or ideas of how we, as part of the Randall knife community, can help. I'll keep ya'll updated as best I can. Later, The "Captain"

Old 06-09-2008, 08:39 AM

I'm very sorry to hear about the fire at Greg's shop. It's unfortunate that equipment and materials have been destroyed, not to mention the hassles of starting up in a new location.

The good news is that there were no injuries or lives lost. As one who has experienced a house fire, I can offer the Gutchers the consolation that material losses are mostly replaceable.

Good luck and my thoughts are with you as you rebuild the business and continue to create top quality sheaths for RMK.

Best regards

David
Old 06-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Skilled

Update.....2:30 P.M.

Everyone,
I have been on the phone with...well: It would be easier to tell ya'll who I haven't been on the phone with. Just talked to Greg for the forth time today, at least. They have finally been granted limited access to what is left of the shop. The demolition crew is there. Nothing is "salvageable", but there was some minor bright spots. Of the hundred or so Randalls that Greg had, a few have been recovered in various forms and condition. To quote Greg: "Some are perfect and some are ruined"!
One "clicker" had been ordered (brand new) and had not been delivered yet. One clicker had been placed outside of the shop and, even though it needs repair, it "is" salvageable. All hides are gone. All of Greg's paperwork, etc. is gone. That's all real bad news. I know what it is like to try and re-enlist your brain and recall orders and other particulars. Impossible...for a young man..and we ain't that!
Good news? O.K. Here it is. The first thing Greg told me is: I've found the Randall stamp!! I suppose that all of this is going to have to be absorbed in small doses. I will try and keep everyone "in the know" on both forums. That's it for now. I am traveling to Pigeon Forge this Wed., Thurs. and Fri. I'll give you an update (or 2 ) before I go and anything I can from a "laptop in the smokies". Best, The "Captain"

P.S. The wrecking crane just got Greg's safe out through the roof. A locksmith is coming to torch it open. Let's all hope the valuables in it are safe and secure. CCS

Old 06-10-2008, 08:34 PM

I just stumbled into this, and was shocked at the bad news. Greg has always been a true gentleman, terrible how bad things happen to good people. I just bought a 1-7 from him last month, and all he was concerned with was my failing hip!
Prayers for quick recovery, a better Sullivan's to rise out of the ashes ,

Mike

Old 06-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Skilled

I am sad with that terrible event. A lot of force, courage and protection of God is that I want to you my friend Greg.
Romano

E-mail: cutromano@yahoo.com
Old 06-22-2008, 08:32 PM

Any updates from Greg? I've been gone a week, sure hope things are a bit better than when I left.

Mike

Old 06-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Skilled

Talked with Greg

Mike and all others,
I just talked with Greg and he sounded 1000 times better than shortly after the fire (duh)! He is hoping that a meeting tomorrow between a realtor a landlord and himself, along with Fran and Danny, will be fruitful enough to report great news...A new location!! It is too early yet to fill you in on any details, but Greg sounded very optimistic.
I told Greg we were all pulling for him and he thanked me for all of the family and asked me to convey that message. I also told him to make good and sure that this "landlord" knows that he would get, not only an A+ tenant, but a business that has been in business for 75 years!! and..A business that has a second generation of owner, not only waiting in the wings, but "hand's on" working at the business everyday!! If I were an industrail / manufacturing business lesser the "Gutchers" would be exactly what I was looking for.
At any rate. Thanks to all for the interest and I'll keep ya'll informed..Best, The "Captain"

Old 06-23-2008, 05:32 PM
Steel Addict

Good News Indeed!!!
We all forward to these updates!!!

Old 06-23-2008, 05:47 PM

Thanks for the great news -- I'll still keep the prayer wheel going til the lights are on in the new place And you're right, an owner couldn't wish for a better occupant !
I'll be watching this space for the next update on Project Phoenix.

Mike

Old 06-24-2008, 09:39 AM

I'm very glad to hear that things are looking up for the Gutchers.

Soon. I'm sure they will once again be making great sheaths for Randall Made Knives.

Cheers!

David

Tags
forge, knife, knives