MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 08-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
That's the reason I sometimes get annoyed with someone who taunts themselves as an "expert". Believe me, I sure don't know everything about what we do, but oftem times I know a far sight more about the practical applications than some of those who would have you believe they know it all, based on a diploma. I suppose I do carry some contempt, but it's not a blanket type........I have met, and know some very open minded, forward thinking people who are metallurgists, and I hold the utmost respect for them. It's the ones who THINK they know it all that irritate me.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
Steel Addict

Sorry, The egghead remark kind of got to me. I thought I was the one you were referring to. I couldn't agree more with the last couple posts. Too many people out there just know everything without actually having done it. Also, I have noticed that many of the things that are in the books don't really apply to us since they are talking about big industrial applications.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:04 PM
Steel Addict

Over-educated or Under-experienced?

Ed, Now be nice. I also have a Masters Degree in Metallurgy. However, I have been in the oil industry and the steel industry most of my life and have learned one thing above all else: Just when you think you know it all, someone comes along and humiliates you. Yep, I have probably pontificated a few times, mostly to the other end of the spectrum. You know the ones who really know absolutely nothing but the vocabulary but like to correct everyone. I get fed up with ignorant people who cannot learn the basics but like to pretend they are wizened old practioners of the ancient arts. However, I have been thoroughly impressed with the level of technical expertise on this forum. I have been totally blown away with the work being displayed on the Damascus forum. In the best of all worlds, we can all add to the working knowledge, either by practice or by education or both.

Old 08-21-2004, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with you. Education is the key to any of this. Formal education should be the basis, but without some practical experience in whatever field the endevor includes, it often times comes down to knowledge not being enough.

The reason I got off on a tangent about this is that over the past few years I've had several instances occur very similar to what I mentioned. Basically someone trying to tell me my business based on a piece of paper that says they completed a course of study. As you mentioned they knew all the terms, and their definitions, but had zero insight as to the practical application of the supposed knowledge they possessed. I have nothing against eduction......I hold two degrees myself.............but when that education/degree is an excuse to be arrogant and self centered, that's when my tolerance ends.

I'm willing to listen to just about anyone, and I believe that there is aways something to be learned from each individual you meet, but when things turn into a know it all attitude, then I tend to shut the door.

OK, now that the explaination is over, we can get back to more fun and friendship, and keep throwing ideas around!

Quenchcrack...... pleased don't think any of this has been directed towards you. You're are a valuable asset to the forums, and from the all post of yours that I read, you've shown yourself as such.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Steel Addict

Humble Pie

Ed, The more I read these forums the more humble I become. I came to teach and became a student!

I work for a PhD who is 20 years younger than me. He and I graduated from the same College. Actually, he is not a bad guy, it is just the very attitude you describe. No matter what the subject, HE is the expert...................I guess he just hasn't realized that youth, enthusiasm and education is no match for experience, treachery, and deviousness! :evil

Old 08-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Super Moderator

Then you know EXACTLY the kind of person I'm talking about. One thing that I have no tolerance what so ever for is arrogance. People like what you mentioned are the "eggheads" that I was referring to.

It's a shame that those who are young with an education like that can't look in the mirror and realize just what kind of Pompus, Headstrong, Dinks (PhDs) they sometimes really are.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife