MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 04-21-2007, 12:50 PM

Get 'em while they're hot!

After last week's tragic events at Virginia Tech and this weeks events at Johnson Space Center, I decided that it was time to go buy that rifle I've been wanting. Not out of fear mind you--just because I wanted to get one before everything with a pistol grip and more than 5 round capacity was declared evil by the new anti-gun congress and the upcoming anti-gun president.

I looked at a variety of AR-15s with a bunch of different names and a slew of Romanian AK-47s which look like they were made with dull files and 40Grit sandpaper.

I settled on a smooth, shiny blued, well finished Hungarian made FEG SA 2000M (AK-47) with polymer furniture and a scope and 4 mags. Now I've got that warm and fuzzy I always get when I buy a new gun.

Everyone at the show was buying the stuff that is soon to be outlawed again--it was all anyone could talk about.

Incidentally, I did find a table with a bunch of handmade knives on it. That's pretty uncommon for our local gun-shows. The blades were mostly real heavy D2 and the prices were almost all $500 and up. The initials on the blades were TAD. The guy selling 'em told me the maker's name, but I can't remember it. He's a Kansas maker and had some kind of bad dealing with the guy who was selling his stuff. He talked great about the knives, but had nothing good to say about the maker. He wasn't selling much.

When I revealed that I too was a maker, he gave me his card and offered to sell me a bunch of handle material he had. Gotta love making new contacts!

Well, that was my morning, on to the afternoon!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Steel Addict

Congrats on the purchase! I'm also thinking of buying one soon, just not for the same reasons. I love to shoot and have always wanted a nice tactical rifle. Maybe in the next few months I'll get the itch a bit stronger and just won't be able to wait anymore.

Don't you just love finding nice handle material? I've only made 4 knives so far, but I think I've got enough handle material for enough to last me a few years hehe. It drives the wife crazy but some of these materials are just too pretty to pass up.

-Alan
Old 04-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Guru

Nice one Andy. I have an AK-47, and really like it for plinking around.

I took the nice break in the weather to get out and shoot with my boys, just got back. Finally got a chance to shoot the new 1894 Cowboy Carbine Limited that arrived last weekend.

I am going to really enjoy this little rifle, shoots well, comfortable, etc. Think I could have hit the target better if the wind wasn't gusting over 40mph, but otherwise a pleasant day with the boys.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 04-21-2007, 05:21 PM
Guru

Oh yeah, forgot to say, post pics!

Old 04-21-2007, 07:19 PM
Hall of Famer

Andy,

How were the prices? Dealers jacking them up yet? I haven't been to a gun show in a while, it's about time I go. I've been leaning toward single shots the last few years though. Someday I will finally get a .45-70 pistol barrel for my TC Encore. . .
Old 04-21-2007, 10:40 PM
Guru

Nice. I like the little Russian round. Great for hogs and brushbusting deer. Fun and cheap for plinking with the solid ammo as well. I always liked the way the muzzle blast sounds on AK and it's variants.

We plan on getting a S&W M&P in 9mm and a Springfield XD in .40. We were going to get them last month, but a $4500 AC system and another few grand in medical expenses put a hold on any "fun" purchases. Guess i better get busy on knives!

I want a CETME also...and a "deathhead" K98, another M91, one each of the MAS series, and Egyptian 8mm semi auto and a enfield jungle carbine, a flat top M4 upper with detachable front and rear sights....oh yeah, and an M1 garand and a tommy gun. ....and.....and....and the list goes on.

Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 AM
Super Moderator

Don, if you get that 9mm, I've got some ammo to get rid of. After reading about the lousy results the 9mm has been having in the sandbox, and because I was beginning to wonder how many rounds that plastic gun could really handle in a lifetime, I traded in my old Glock 17.

I suspect that the comments from the 'left' after VT will probably spur a run on guns, ammo, and clips. Rush Limbaugh was quoted on some news wire as saying Hillary Clinton has an 80% chance of being elected. Not much of a window of opportunity before PVC prices shoot up as everyone goes back to burying their guns.

Ammo prices have already skyrocketed because of increased metal and shipping costs.

Laws, including gun laws, only apply to law-abiding citizens.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:14 AM

Nate,
Yea, the prices are up a bit as expected. I guess the 'left' does a lot to sell guns when you think about it.

Carl,
I'll get a few pics up today... maybe.

Don,
I had a Cetme bought it on Gunbroker a couple of years ago. I paid around $350 + $50ish to get it to me. Great gun for the money! Absolutely the best bargain around for high capacity .308 semi-autos. I sold it and shouldn't have. I too want another. There's just something cool about the term 'Main Battle Rifle'.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 04-24-2007, 01:45 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

I need to get a new .22 caliber revolver since I want to shoot shorts, bird shot as well as long rifle. A mag cylinder would be a plus. The guns main purpose is for varmint abatement on our property and putting small animals out of their misery after being maimed by the coyotes or other animals. I like to target shoot too. I wasnt planning on spending a ton on this. I've been using a Marlin semi-auto rifle up to now for theses tasks, but it jams on the .22 bird shot (not enough kick for the semi-auto to eject and load the next shell) and doesnt take shorts.

What would you recommend? I saw a Heritage brand (made in USA) at Big R Farm and Ranch stores that looks like it might do the trick. It came with the .22 mag cylinder too. Does anyone know anything about it? Its single action which is fine. I cant go get it today anyway, since we're getting a blizzard. Nothing like Colorado to change the weather. It was 60 degrees yesterday...

Here is a pointer to their website:

http://www.heritagemfg.com/site/

Oh, I almost forgot... Might want to get your concealed carry permit before they put the k-bosh on that too if you feel the need.

Thanks,

Kurt

Last edited by horseman1; 04-24-2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 04-24-2007, 04:31 PM
Guru

I have a Ruger single-six in 22/22mag with a 6.5" bbl. Works well on everything from rats and feral cats to possum, coon and beaver. Comfortable to shoot, easy to maintain and very reliable.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Guru

I have the heritage 22 with the Mag cylinder. I really like this little revolver, and have been very happy with it. Accuracy is excellent, price is right, and the only thing that you have to get used to is the odd safety, but once you get used to it, it is easy to use.

I have shot the birdshot (both 22lr and 22mag), longs, shorts, 22mags of various brands, CB longs and CB shorts without a hiccup. Haven't yet found anything that it didn't do good with.

The one I have is the satin steel finish, which does get some discoloration on the cylinder over time (mine probably has a 3-5 thousand rounds through it to this point). Not really a major issue, but thought you would like to know.

edited to add, if I find somewhere around here that carries them again, I am going to pick up a second one, maybe a third. Both my boys have shot this one and like it, so it would be nice to have one for them for later.

--Carl

Old 04-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks Don and Carl.

And just to add my 2 cents about the original post, dont forget those CC permits (not that they wont try to revoke them anyway). I have lots of friends that have theirs and I feel very good about these well trained, honest law abiding people having their guns available. Expert shooters and morals to match. I should go get mine, but I dont really need one for protection where I live . I might after the gumment gets done making sure we are all fish in a barrel....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:53 PM
Guru

I have my CC Permit, have had for near a decade I think, got it before I moved back to Idaho at least. Around here, it is also helpful for purchase, since the sheriff already did a background check on you, then it is considered done when you purchase. Fill out the paperwork, they put the CCW # on the back, and off you go.

--Carl

Tags
forge, knives