MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

OK, let's talk about what we see here. First thing I see is that there is a small area on the edge that wasn't ground - you have to be careful to ensure that the edge (the unsharpened edge) is of even thickness all along it's length. If there is an unground area then it's almost certain the edge is thicker there than elsewhere.

Next, it appears that you intend to have a grind line near the blade's spine and that's perfectly acceptable. But, notice how your rough belt has left a few fine lines sticking up above the initial grind line. The rough belts always do this. The idea is to clean them up with the next grit you use and then clean up that grits even finer grind line with the next one and so on. In order for that to work, the grind line gets a little higher with each successive grit and the last one is pretty smooth because it was probably done with a fresh, sharp 400 grit belt. This knife will need to have a full flat grind in order to clean that up because the grind line is already too high. Nothing wrong with full flat grinds either but if you want a grind line on your blade you'll need to stop sooner with the coarse belt....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the advice ray. This blade has been a clean up a train wreck with a broom kind of learning experience Lol. The unground part on the bottom is the result of the first fubar grind.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 AM

Lighten up on yourself a little Hondo. You are in the learning curve and this is a good place to get help making the turn. It's turning out pretty good and you have learned a pants load this go round.
I usually get my students to set the edge to grind line or spine with good file work before I let them near a grinder. Trick is geting them to learn where to stop before they've gone too far, as Ray said.

My bigger concern would be on geometrical/mechanical structure. You have a "plunge" grind ending directly in line with your deeper notch in your file work. This increases the potential for crack/stress failure in an area that gets the most side stress due to handle scales stiffening the rest of the knife and and side pressure will manifest itself in that area. You have a lot of metal still intact there so maybe not so critical on this one, but a bad habit to get into in future work.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Steel Addict

i finished this one up tonight!
the only bo bo on this one was picking up the wrong dam drill bit when i drilled the scales ;/ so had to fill in the gap with epoxy.

but i think it came out well.

Old 03-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Master

If I recall correctly, you're using a 4x36? Its REALLY hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you might have some flapping on the belt, which causes the bottom of your bevel to round over some. This phenomenon is more or less unavoidable on a 4x36, but you can switch the orientation of your knife so the edge is pointing the direction the belt is turning instead of facing the belt as it hits the knife.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:19 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

In the third picture there appears to be a mark of some kind near the edge about halfway along the edge. This mark doesn't appear in the first picture - what is that? Looks like it might be an inclusion that got exposed after you did a bit more grinding but it's hard to tell...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Jensen View Post
If I recall correctly, you're using a 4x36? Its REALLY hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like you might have some flapping on the belt, which causes the bottom of your bevel to round over some. This phenomenon is more or less unavoidable on a 4x36, but you can switch the orientation of your knife so the edge is pointing the direction the belt is turning instead of facing the belt as it hits the knife.
i used a a friends 2x72 to do the bevel and my 4x36 to do the edge.
the rounding is from a flap sander i used to remove of the heavier scratches before i finished grinding the edge bevel.
Old 03-30-2013, 01:11 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
In the third picture there appears to be a mark of some kind near the edge about halfway along the edge. This mark doesn't appear in the first picture - what is that? Looks like it might be an inclusion that got exposed after you did a bit more grinding but it's hard to tell...
hey ray! that was just some epoxy from off my finger! all gone now.

Tags
advice, angle, bee, blade, convex grind, design, drill, edge, file, file work, grind in, hand, handle, knife, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, man, pattern, sand, scales, simple