MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-06-2010, 06:49 AM
Enthusiast

Ok cool. Was working on a goop mixture then I read about the water so I stopped. So it does not matter ok. Thanks.

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:01 AM
Skilled

1080 will get harder when quenched in water than it will when quenched in oil, but the stresses that make the steel harder will also contribute greatly to the chance of it cracking and failing. 1080 is forgiving, so it can be quenched in water, but I've had very good luck using a light mineral oil.

Old 07-06-2010, 03:13 PM
Skilled

I wonder how well 1080 quenches in fast quench (McMasterCarr stuff)

Old 07-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

It quenches just fine...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipecrafter View Post
I built my first forge using inspiration from Ray's small forge. It's really simple, and if I can do it, anyone can. Here's a few pages showing how I went about it:
http://www.loneadmin.com/forge_build/Welcome.html

I was wondering... do you just use cement or do you use something called ITC 100 coating? I'm looking at Ellis Custom Knifeworks trying to figure out what to order. There are a variety of materials.... http://refractory.elliscustomknifeworks.com/

Michael

What.... just take some metal, grind away anything that does not look like a knife and there you are. Whats the problem now?
Old 07-07-2010, 04:43 PM

All you need is the wool and a little Satanite. If you wish to add ITC-100 that's fine but not required. If you don't have a couple of firebricks laying around include some in your order ....

Old 07-07-2010, 06:25 PM
Skilled

I used both satanite and ITC-100. That little forge is very efficient, and gets up to heat treat temp very quickly, with forging temp following soon after. Based on a couple mistakes it will also get up to welding temp, but I have not used it for that since that's not what it was intended for.

The satanite is required to seal the ceramic fiber blanket. Over a certain temp (I forget the temp) the ceramic fibers will degrade and get released into the air if they're not encapsulated in the satanite shell. It's a self preservation maneuver. You don't want to breath that stuff. The ITC-100 just adds some thermal efficiency.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Was sitting thinking about this and had a thought about 'efficientcy'. I live in an apartment. I would not be fiering this up in a garage or what not. If I was to fire this up in the Winter outside should I be more concerned about the efficientcy? Not for it to be more efficient with using x amount of propane but to be efficient in being able to get hot enough in the Winter outside? Being I should use the ITC 100....

Michael

Old 07-08-2010, 03:23 PM

The ITC would help but unless you have a Norther blowing through the forge you'll probably find that the outside temperature will have little effect on the temp inside the forge ......

Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Enthusiast

Good. The stuff is not cheap:]

Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
The ITC would help but unless you have a Norther blowing through the forge you'll probably find that the outside temperature will have little effect on the temp inside the forge ......

Old 07-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Master

I agree with Ray...outside temps don't play much of a roll.

I used to live in Michigan and would do my forging in an unheated garage in below freezing temps with no problems.

One thing that may be a concern is if you are building a venturi type design then wind will mess with the flame. It blows across the air inlet area and starves it, which makes the flame flicker. You will have to use it on calmer days or maybe make a shield for it to block the wind. At least thats my experience...

I suspect this isn't a problem with a design that has a blower but I have no experience in that area so can;t say for sure.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Ray's info and plans

A long time ago I built a forge based on Ray's design more or less. It was a really nice forge. I ended up giving it away to an up and coming aspiring knife maker a while back, and I hope it's seeing a lot of good use now. In fact my first folder was from Rays site. Say, thanks Ray!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 PM

You're welcome, Robert. I hope you're still using a forge (I've made some new mods to mine) as well as turning out those fantastic rocking chairs......

Old 07-09-2010, 08:26 PM
Enthusiast

Ah. Rocking chairs. I've got my eye on one actually. My wife decided that the one I had last year had seen better days and "recycled" it before finding a new one. Usually not a problem with the exception of... Yeah you guessed it. This year! None can be found. Found one on the net that is perfect! Can't wait to get it!

Michael

Old 07-10-2010, 12:29 AM
Hall of Famer

Ray and his furry "friends"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
You're welcome, Robert. I hope you're still using a forge (I've made some new mods to mine) as well as turning out those fantastic rocking chairs......
Hey there Ray! I've had to reduce my knifemaking orders to locals and friends of locals, and really need to modify my website to show that I guess. About 3 years ago I started telling woodworking clients that I was planning on retiring at age 60 (now) so it seems
there's been this "mini-rush" to have me make rockers for the clilents family members and so on, and I've lost the cotton-picking light at the end of the tunnel. Not a bad thing of course, but sure did mess up my plans. At least Carrie still has and additional 3 years to go at the A&M research Center here in Uvalde, so we'll work through it ok. Money in the bank as they say I have my forges, 2 coal, 2 propane (one atmospheric with T-Rex burners, and my modified version of yours (It was my first like yours that I gave to a guy really needing one).
So you're in the same location? I still worry about you and the bears, although I don't recall you having any Grizzlies, just Black Bears, but they can be dangerous enough.
Hows your new (well, about 3 or 4 years old now) press working out for you?
Ok, I'll let you go. It's just that this is about the first time I've talked to any of my old friends on this forum, and I got carried away
Take care!!
Robert

Hensarling Custom Knives

Tags
blade, folder, forge, forging, heat treat, knife, supply