MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Master

the beginning

went walkin' the train tracks today. found three spikes, a hook scaped piece ( holds track to tie) and a big ol' 2 inch wide screw. im gonna spark test them all ( more spark = better?) . im deffinatly hooked on the idea of searching for scrapes to make into something of use. i cant wait to get started now

bill

Old 11-08-2005, 07:16 AM

For high carbon steel, more sparks--that is more in volume and in complexity--lots of starbursts is better. There are some alloys that don't spark as much as say W1 or 1095 that will still make good knives. Experiment with different steels and different methods of heat treatment and quenching mediums and see what happens. Sometimes the journey is more fun than reaching your destination.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Master

That big ol' hook shaped piece will be some TOUGH stuff. Dunno what they make 'em out of, but they're hard to forge!
Old 11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Master

well then alan maybe ill make that my sacrificial "heat and hit" piece just to get my swings down. im kinda curious about the spikes i cant see any letters on them at all so i have no idea what i have. i just read tai's post about spark test and im gonna give it a try tomorrow.

bill

Old 11-08-2005, 11:46 AM
Master

Mr. Acker, i was kinda scared off of forging because of the unknowns, but now that ive found that some "cheap" found metals can turn into useable knives im not so worried about the mess ups, i figure those that turn out as a learning experiance will have a place with my first folding knives

bill

Tags
forge, forging, knives