MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-23-2005, 01:24 PM
Skilled

Guard milling question.

I've done the search thing, but didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Haven't worked with guards yet, but want to have a go.

My question: Can I put a milling bit in the drill press, using "guard sized" scraps, add a guide to the press table and mill out my guard that way? (By using the side of the bit & cutting.)

I haven't seen evidence of anyone doing it this way. I assume for a reason????

Last edited by markd; 08-23-2005 at 01:30 PM. Reason: added side cutting comment
Old 08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
Living Legend

I use rotary carbide rasps on the mill/drill to shape the guards. Because of the curves and contours I free hand the metal stock versus using hold downs. Even then I have to do alot of hand filing and polishing. I mill out the slot and then use small jewelers files to get the tight tolerances. Many people still drill several small holes and then use a small file to complete the slot. I have screwed up more of them by trying to mill them vs. drilling/filing.
Old 08-23-2005, 04:21 PM
Guru

Mark, Before I owned a mill Tried exactly what you are asking and didnt have much success. Thats not to say you cant but I had a difficult time. I think my cheapo drill press had something to do with that. Once that didnt work I went to the drilling and filing and it didnt take too long doing that to know I needed a mill.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 08-24-2005, 08:14 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
The difference between a drill press and a mill is in the kind of bearing the quill rides in. A drill press isn't designed to handle side loads like you'll be putting on it by doing milling operations, whereas a mill is designed to handle those loads. It may be possible, but eventually, you'll wear out your drill press.

For something as small as guards, Harbor Freight has a small micro mill for $299. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=47158

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 08-24-2005, 09:37 AM
Skilled

Thanks, guys. A mini mill it shall be. I wondered how much abuse the "side pressure" would put on the press.

Back to the shop after a summer on the golf course and at the pool with the little guy.

Old 08-24-2005, 09:57 AM

I have a sears drill press that is 20 years old and I have been milling slots in guards with it. I use a cross slide vice from harbor freight and end mills to do the cutting. You can't cut it in one pass though. I usually only take about 1/8" at a time. Since I'm using small mills 1/16", 1/8", 5/32", and 3/16", I'm not really putting much of a load on the bearing. I also get excellent results.
One side note: In the future I hope to own one of those mini mills from harbor freight. I'm sure it will be better in the long run.
John
Old 08-25-2005, 06:41 PM
Enthusiast

I'm about to buy a mini mill to do the same thing (slot guards). Is is worthwhile getting a slitting saw or are end mills the way to go. The guards I've been buying from K&G appear to be saw cut.

John.
Old 08-25-2005, 06:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

When I first tried milling with a small drill press the side loads kept making my drill chuck fall off. Later, when I got a larger and heavier drill press that problem went away but there is still no comparison between that and an actual mill.

Slotting saws work OK on large mills but they need a lot of rigidity and weight behind them because they don't really seem to cut all that easily (at least mine dont). I'd stay with the end mills. Besides, sooner or later you may want to make a guard for a stick tang knife and that will require an end mill .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
knife