MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:21 PM
Skilled

$500 budget. Grizzly or Coote grinder?

I have a $500 budget for a grinder. In this price range I know only two grinders: Grizzly and Coote(plus extra pulley and motor)

What would be your choice? Is coote any better than grizzly? Consider that If I buy grizzly I'll have some money left to buy other tool.

Thanks,
Alex
Old 08-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Skilled

Continue to save your money until you can get a KMG with a variable speed motor with the VFD drive Rob Frink uses, you won't be sorry. His website is:
http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com

Old 08-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to philip bradford Send a message via Yahoo to philip bradford
Grizzly for loan

Hi Alex,

If you live within a days drive of Atlanta, I have a Grizzly grinder that I am not currently using I would be happy to loan you for a couple of months. If you like it, I'm sure we can work out a reasonable price or trade. If you don't like it, or just want a new one instead of used, just get it back to me. You won't hurt my feelings.

Personally, I think the Grizzly grinder is a terrific grinder for the money and I only wish I had more space to set it up for rough grinding in my garage. It is "very" efficent at removing material. At the blade show I purchased a variable speed for my KMG and a variable speed horizontal 2X72 (with the extention table) profile grinder from Rob Frink. Since I only use half of a two car garage for knife making, I'm out of space and my Grizzly is just gathering dust. Not to mention I keep tripping over it.

I'm always willing to help a fellow knife enthusist.

Philip

Old 08-06-2005, 01:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Phillip's generous offer is just one more reason why people should fill out their profiles completely, at least include a city and state. If people see that you are nearby, many are willing to help in various ways.

As for the Griz and the Coote both are fine grinders (I have a Griz). Use the Search key to find some of the extremely numerous threads concerning opinions on both grinders...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
*gets in the car and drives to Atlanta*

wow Philip... you're a super nice guy!

Old 08-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Skilled

I am in San Francisco. But thanks for the offer anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 06:11 PM
Steel Addict

Of the two, I would say the
Coote is the better and more versatile and easier to modify....definitely better if you want to hollow grind....I have not used a Grizzly, and have heard a few minor complaints about them, but, even though they really disappointed me on an order a while back, I suppose it is a good product...just make sure before you order it is not on backorder.

Old 08-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Enthusiast

Outstanding !!!

I have to "second" the comment from "Nozh".......you guys are just a bunch of super people here on the forum.....Phillip, that's just such an incredible offer!!! Why can't the majority of the world be more like this?
Bernie

Old 08-06-2005, 07:37 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by farleycat
I have to "second" the comment from "Nozh".......you guys are just a bunch of super people here on the forum.....Phillip, that's just such an incredible offer!!! Why can't the majority of the world be more like this?
Bernie

Yeah man...this site is full of classy guys.

Old 08-06-2005, 10:52 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Quote:
Originally Posted by nozh_scrap
Yeah man...this site is full of classy guys.
"Classy"? This rip snortin, hog wallerin bunch of ingrates?!

Well I don't know if I'd go that far. "Generous"? Very much so!!!!

All joking asside, the ladies and gentlemen that are on this forum, are the kindest, most helpfull, and are willing to their experiences and valuable information.

We have laughed together, learned together, and I'm sure even cried together. (yes men can cry)

You won't find a better group anywhere.... ANYWHERE!!

Chris Nilluka
Old 08-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Philip,

PM sent.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

I can't speak for the Coote, but I have a Grizzly and I don't regret the purchase. It's built like a tank. Of course it's not as good as a KMG, but in terms of what it costs versus what it delivers, the Grizzly is a real bargain.

Old 08-07-2005, 12:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
If ya got 500, another 150 will get you a KMG and you will never have to upgrade later.

I have a buddy that works in trash collection. He is looking for me an electric treadmill that comes with its own speed control. He says he sees them quite often. Anyone who knows someone who works in that service area should inquire about them. I heard that they work well as grinder motors.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
If ya got 500, another 150 will get you a KMG and you will never have to upgrade later.
Aren't you kind of forgetting something? Like say a motor? A contact wheel? The contact wheel setups start at $745 and go up from there. $219 for a motor, $68 for 2 pullies... now we're talking $1034. His best bet would be to get a variable speed set up which is an additional $675.

Alex, honestly I would hold off on the KMG for now. I personally am going through the same thing right now. My initial thought was that I would go for the gusto and get the KMG. The more I thought about it the less it made sense for me to get, right now. I have decided upon the Grizzly. It will save me some money, plus when I get it I don't have to buy anything else, other than sanding belts, to make it work. It already comes with the motor. The Grizzly is also a proven perfomer, over and over again. If you could ask every knife maker here I bet you the majority of them have, used to have, or have used a Grizzly and were pleased with it.

Chris Nilluka
Old 08-07-2005, 10:58 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to John T Wylie Jr
one of my buds here in Vegas bought the grizzly , he came over to my shop to visit and checked out my Bader3..... after playing with the variable speed on the Bader and seeing all the accessories available , he bought a B3 a few weeks later. The Variable speed makes a huge difference for us newbies. I love my Bader , think you would be equally happy with the KMG.

Chris your last comment made me think : "If you could ask every knife maker here I bet you the majority of them have, used to have, or have used a Grizzly and were pleased with it. "

I would say get what you can now to get you going , but if you have the means to swing a Bader or KMG , buy once & cry once

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives