MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-30-2005, 11:34 AM

Grizzley belt grinder

HI,
New here, and I was wondering has anyone had any experience with the "Grizzley" belt grinder? Either good or bad. I'd like to upgrade, I have a very small belt grinder that I can bog down with my knuckle... Yep... I know this for a fact... I'd like to get one that I can actually do something with. As of now I'm using all hand tools, and I want to try to speed things up a bit. The "Grizzley" is much less expensive than any of the other larger knife grinders that I've seen. Is it usefull for the money?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The simple answer to your question is 'yes', the Griz is useful and worth the money. The best help you could ask for is the Search button at the top of the page. The Griz question is quite literally likely to be THE most commonly asked question on this forum and has been discussed in many, many, many threads. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that at least half the knife makers in the country either have a Griz (including me) or have used one....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-30-2005, 06:07 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Yblood

I too have a Grizzly Grinder. I will say that with out a doubt, its one of the better deals for the price.

Ive had mine for a little over 5 years. No complaints, although I can bog it down, it takes a bit to do it.

As Ray said, use the search, there are many tutorials on Knifenetwork where folks have beefed theirs up, and made extra parts and jigs for it.

Good Luck!

God Bless
Mike

Old 07-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

For the money, the Grizz can't be beat. It's built like a tank. I have one and I have no qualms recommending it.

It is NOT the equivalent of one of the really good grinders. If you're able to make a full time living making knives, then you'd be better off buying the top-end unit. It IS a huge improvement over not having a grinder, and is vastly better than settling for some smaller size grinder.

If you do a search here, you'll find a number of threads discussing the Grizz and lots of home-made changes or additions to it. One thing that's really a 'must have' is the pyroceram (sp?) platen. There are at least 2 guys on here that sell them (and I have no desire to get in the middle of that tonight.) It's not expensive and greatly improves the unit.

After searching here about the grinder, then search about belts. There are a WIDE variety of belts available from a number of vendors and it will be hard to make decisions without looking at the experiences of others.

Old 07-31-2005, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the help guys,

I have since used the search (I was just to new to this forum to know how to go about looking up something) and have read a lot of good things about the griz and as a hobbiest I'll probably take that route. I can always up-grade in the future. I think this will help me to "get my feet wet".

Anybody in my area that needs a good apprentice? I dont eat much, and I are pretty smart...

It would probably help me out a lot to see how a "real" knifemaker does it. Is that an accepted practice? To visit the shop of a maker for the purpose of learning something? Or is everyone kind of secretive of thier "proprietary processes"?? lol

Thank you again for the help, I'll try and read the archives a little more before I go and just blurt anything else out.

Have a GREAT day all...
Randall

Old 07-31-2005, 04:27 PM
Skilled

The fella who moderates this room, in primalfires forum, is in your area.
http://p222.ezboard.com/fprimalfiresfrm9

Old 07-31-2005, 11:47 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
As soon as 400 bucks hits my future knifemaking hands..... I will own a Grizzly grinder.

Old 08-01-2005, 08:09 PM

This is just for you Nozh...

I Do truely hate to rub it in my brother... But you know I will if I get the chance... :evil I just got off the griz web-site and my new grinder ought to be here in 3-5 working days... Guess I'll be need'n to go back offshore to pay for it now... lol I'll take some pics of the set-up, and give a little "play by play" on what I think about the thing for any other interested NOOB'S out there. And I'll probably ask about a gazillion questions of all you more experienced guys on the forum.

Anyone with any thoughts on a good belt supplier? I'm thinking of picking up a few of each to get myself started. About how many and what grit? And if Ihad to pick just one buffer gizmo for the other side, what would do the best for all purpose? I thought about running me a belt drive mandrel thing so I could have 2 buffers. Have any of ya'll have tried that?

BTW, this place is kind of cool... I wish I would have found about this about 6mo ago, I could have saved a LOT of filing...

Thanks in advance guys...
Randall

Old 08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
bah.... lucky...

It would be cool if you posted some pics of your grizzly to give noobs like me a heads up on what to expect.

*continues to scrape for $400*

Old 08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yblood187
This is just for you Nozh...

I Do truely hate to rub it in my brother... But you know I will if I get the chance... :evil I just got off the griz web-site and my new grinder ought to be here in 3-5 working days... Guess I'll be need'n to go back offshore to pay for it now... lol I'll take some pics of the set-up, and give a little "play by play" on what I think about the thing for any other interested NOOB'S out there. And I'll probably ask about a gazillion questions of all you more experienced guys on the forum.

Anyone with any thoughts on a good belt supplier? I'm thinking of picking up a few of each to get myself started. About how many and what grit? And if Ihad to pick just one buffer gizmo for the other side, what would do the best for all purpose? I thought about running me a belt drive mandrel thing so I could have 2 buffers. Have any of ya'll have tried that?

BTW, this place is kind of cool... I wish I would have found about this about 6mo ago, I could have saved a LOT of filing...

Thanks in advance guys...
Randall
http://www.trugrit.com/ Don't know how much you will be using it so , to start get five 60's...I prefer Norton as I learned the hard way cheaper is sooooo not better when talking belts, maybe five 120's a couple 220's and a couple 320's...I like the 3m gator trizac in the grits above 120. You will get a lot of different opinion on belts, just dont get cheap.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I've had the best luck with Trugrit.

Old 08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Enthusiast

Randall,

Here is a good page for buffing information:
http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/buffman.htm

In addition to the good info about the Grizzly found on the forums; you might want to take a look here: http://groups.msn.com/GrizzlyG1015

Regards,
Greg
Old 08-08-2005, 02:31 PM

Thanks everybody for all the replys. I picked up some really good info from all this.

My griz just arrived, ( just 3 days from the initial order to my doorstep I might add) and I'll be putting it together now... I'll take a couple of pics of the assembly if some more of us NOOB's might be interested. If can figure out how to post them of course... lol I just got around to ordering belts enough to get me started on fri. though, so they wont be here for another few days. I ended up going through Tru-Grit. They had by far the best selection. I'm really anxious to get things kicked off and get started...

Pics to follow... I hope... lol

Randall

Tags
knife, knives