MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-02-2005, 04:21 AM
Steel Addict

Super glue finish

FYI, on the bowie previously posted here, I decided after finishing to apply a super glue finish with the super thin stuff(cyan 3??) from, I think, Texas Knifemakers Supply.......anyhow, upon following the thread(which I can't figure out how to post a link to) on here about it, and figuring out if you use CLEAN sandpaper it works so much better...it turned out looking oh, so freaking awesome . This place is such an incredible help. I would post pics, but until I get a little better at photographing knives, it probably wouldn't show up anyway....that makes me a little ill as I have actually won a couple of(very minor) awards for my landscape photography. I guess I need to go to the knife photography section.....just got too much to think about as it is, heck, I haven't even made a sheath yet .

Last edited by Mitchell H.; 07-02-2005 at 04:24 AM. Reason: spelling...again
Old 07-02-2005, 09:18 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
glad to hear it came out nice. i love the super glue finnish!!
oh and i suck at taking pics as well. so dont feel that bad at least you have some experience with the subject!

...justin
Old 07-04-2005, 08:38 PM
Steel Addict

super glue

I just finished a small folder from a kit. It has box elder burl scales that I cut from the family farm trees. the scales that is. I stained them with a vinigar and steel wool solution (sp?). I put on regular super glue, about 5 coats in total. WOW what a great finish my father thought it was fosilized bone.
Well it looks just great and recomend others give it a try. Keep the knife away from moisture untill the glue dries, and be patient about sanding.
I also got the vinigar and steel wool idea from the sheath making forum, a very long and compleat thread some where in there.
Cheers Ron.
Old 07-05-2005, 10:00 AM
Skilled

I just finished a knife and posted a link to to over in the outpost that i did a super glue finish on. Man it turned out nice, on the curly maple i used it really let the tiger eye effect come out. I am just hoping it is really durable for the guy getting it.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:48 AM
Steel Addict

Anyone wanna help a complete nOOb? can you post a link or quick discription as to what a SuperGlue finish is?

Old 07-06-2005, 11:02 AM
Skilled

Here is a link to the super glue finish i did on a curly maple handle:
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/terry_....dir=266b&.src

It actually looks better in person, lots of the tiger eye effect going on.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:49 AM
Steel Addict

Wow. That is some beautiful wood. What is the technique and benifits to that finish?

Old 07-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Skilled

There are probably others that can answer that better than i, since i am just trying it. But the reason i am using it on this one is that the super glue finish is quick (just a couple hours for me, as compared to usually over a week for my normal tung oil finish where i build up layers of tung oil, but i have to let each layer dry a day or so before i can do the next), It is harder and more scratch resistant than my tung oil finish, it gets glass clear and seems very water resistant, and hopefully the user wont have to reapply anything as he would with tung oil, and cheap (i get a 3 pack of super glue at the dollar tree for $1), i did that whole handle with a piece of 2000 grit wet/dry paper from the auto parts store that was about 2"x1". But i am not sure of the long term results yet, that is why i think there are others that have already used it more that could give more info about it.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:42 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
But the reason i am using it on this one is that the super glue finish is quick (just a couple hours for me
I read in a superglue finish "how to" that you have to wait at least 24 hours between coats to make sure the glue cures properly. I guess it's like building a foundation on quicksand. In industry, the Devcon people warn you about this.

Old 07-08-2005, 02:16 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwfilion
I read in a superglue finish "how to" that you have to wait at least 24 hours between coats to make sure the glue cures properly. I guess it's like building a foundation on quicksand. In industry, the Devcon people warn you about this.

I didn't...I got some cyan 3 quick cure from texas knifemaker supply with a 1-3 second cure and put on a coat evrery couple of minutes and it came out crystal clear and glassy. If you had to wait that long it would take months as I personally used at least 30 coats...try using the search button and you should find a good description of a maker(can't remember which?) that uses it....he says he uses up to 50 coats. I am confused as to how a product founded on its quick cure capabilities would have to cure overnight.....anyway, all 30+ coats took about an hour for me with no ill effects.

edited to add:

This is from Scott Slobodian; the master (and inventor) of the superglue finish:

"I pad down coats with a wad of cotton. I do probably 50 coats and
sand off 20. Sand to 1500 grit and rub out with a paint compound...I use
"Final Cut".
Do all your sanding at the end unless you get something stuck in the
coats...like cotton, rubber gloves or leaves blowing through the air!
The thin glue sets fast...seconds. As it starts to slow down spritz it with
accelorator and it cures immediately. It takes me about half an hour to do a
handle...coating it that is.
I use the accelorator made by the same company as the glue...they are:
CPH International
611 S. Catalina St, Suite 400A
Los Angeles, CA 90005

Scott Slobodian"

I looked up the post.

Last edited by Mitchell H.; 07-08-2005 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM
Skilled

Mitchell H. thanks for posting that, i wasnt sure how long to let it dry between coats, that was why i was waiting an hour or 2 between coats, but it was good and dry when i came back.

I tried just a straight super glur finish on a other piece of curly maple last night, but without the oil under it, there wasnt much tiger eye effect at all, the wood had swirls and stuff but no flames, it just looked like dead wood, so i am sanding it all off and going to do the same piece with oil and super glue to see if it makes a difference. So i think i am just going to use it as a top coat, and i will probably use some of the super glue gel (really thick stuff) as the final coat (less coats to put on ).
Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Superglue isn't a magic finish. What produces the quality look is the technique. The advantage of superglue is the speed with which it cures. I see posts where it seems people are enamoured by the prefix 'super' and think it makes the finish impervious to damage. If you have ever spilled superglue on a workbench and tried to scrape it off after curing, you've seen that it's fairly soft and scratches easily.

That's not to say that there's anything wrong with using it! Just understand that it's not magic.

As for using oil and then superglue, be sure that you allow 3-7 days for the oil finish to cure before trying to do any topcoat.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Skilled

Thanks TexasJack, I know it isnt impervious to everything, but i did like how quick and clear it dried. I had sanded and whiskered the test piece i used only a superglue finish on the same as i have always done curly maple, but when i put the glue only on, it seemed to dull the tiger eye effect a lot, it was still glass smoth and shiney as a coating, but the life of the wood seemed to be gone so i am going to go back to a linseed or tung oil finish with the super glue as a top coat. At least i think the super glue should hold up better to sweat and water and use better than just the linseed or tung oil finish. Any opinions anyone? I am just trying to find any pros and cons to doing it this way, i am looking for the most durable yet three-D tiger eye effect i can get from curly maple. If someone knows of a more durable finish that gives these effects please let me know as i am just starting to learn (always trying to learn).
Old 07-08-2005, 10:53 AM
Skilled

Mitchell F. Heidt i apoligise for responding and asking so many questions in the thread that you started, But there seemed to be so many things i wanted to ask as replies came in, i hope you dont mind?
Old 07-08-2005, 12:21 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry_Dodson
Mitchell F. Heidt i apoligise for responding and asking so many questions in the thread that you started, But there seemed to be so many things i wanted to ask as replies came in, i hope you dont mind?
That was the purpose of my post, to let someone else know I tried it and it worked out well for me.....I was excited that I actually got it right and wanted to share my limited knowledge

Tags
knife, knives