MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:42 AM
Steel Addict

Question Newbie question on sanders

Would either of these sanders be worth a darn for a shaping handles and scales and polishing? I would NOT be attempting to grind out blade shapes (still just using kits).

from Lowes

or

from Harbor Freight

So far, I have built two kits from pre-made blades, and I am looking for a better way to shape the handles then the predictable crappy results from a Dremel tool. If I ever progress to shaping bar stock to a blade I will get a better grinder. Cost is a problem, since I promised my wife only one expensive hobby at a time and I am NOT ready to give up my pretty heavy gun habit
Old 06-27-2005, 11:51 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
For handles, those would probably work pretty well. The disc sander would be a big help in matching up bolsters and handle slabs. I don't know how much use the top wheel would be, but it's worth a shot...

And welcome aboard!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 06-27-2005, 11:58 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the welcome. I am really enjoying working on knives so far, but with my limited tools, I know I am not working to my full potential. I'll be swinging by harbor freight sometime this week to pick up some files, and may just have to get the belt sander.

I'll post a few pics of my first 2 knives later on. But I gotta warn ya... they is UGLY!
Old 06-27-2005, 01:29 PM
Skilled

I have the one from lowes. Its good for finishing handles and I made a number of kits with it. The top wheel actually came in handy, and i used it as a mock contact wheel, though it certainly is NOT intended as such. If i were you, id go to sears and get the 2X42" grinder. its far superior and not much more (on sale for 99 i think). When i upgraded to the 2X42, i am now able to grind blades. Other have complained but I am able to grind nearly perfect flat bevels with clean, crisp grind lines on that machine, something the 1x30 never allowed me.

Last edited by TikTock; 06-27-2005 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:19 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsi1911
I'll post a few pics of my first 2 knives later on. But I gotta warn ya... they is UGLY!

I don't know if you should do that. No one else here has ever made an ugly knife!

I have a loaded KMG and a Bader along with 6x48 and a number of discs. Still, I went out last year and bought a 1x42 like what you're looking at. It's smaller size allowed me to do some things the bigger beasts wouldn't. One consideration may be to look at the upper wheel. Some are aluminum and some are rubber coated. One may offer an advantage over the other for what you need it to accomplish.

My advice is that there is no really useless tool. Expect both limitations AND benefits. I will promise you that, if you are still making knives years from now, that grinder will still have it's uses. You will also learn how to make small modifications that improve it's performance.

Welcome to KNet.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
Guru

I have the HF one and it sits right next to the KMG & Grizzly, It gets used quite a bit for odds and end chores. When I first started out I even ground out blades with it.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 06-27-2005, 03:09 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzo
I don't know if you should do that. No one else here has ever made an ugly knife!
Wait until you see the sheath I made with kydex, a heat gun, heat resistant "Mechanix" Gloves (who needs a kydex press when you can just squeeze it in your fingers?), and a pop-rivet gun. It is hideous, but it works! and I have used the knife the skin and quarter the last 3 deer I have shot.

Thanks for the input and welcomes. I am pretty green on this knife-making thing, But I expect my first folder kit to be on the doorstep when I get home tonight. I might not be good (yet) but I'm having fun!
Old 06-27-2005, 03:44 PM
Living Legend

Welcome to the adventure, bullsi1911. It still thrills me after a fair long time.

If you would, take a moment and fill in that portion of the User CP profile you feel comfortable with. It is always enjoyable to know where people come from. If you feel so inclined, put your first name (or last) in the the "sig line" so we can address you by a name. Thanks.

BTW, your Kydex sheath ain't got nothing for ugly over my first attempt. I thought it was mandatory to use the gloves without press the first time....
Old 06-27-2005, 04:20 PM
Steel Addict

Done. I was thinking I was going to lurk for a few more days before jumping in, but what the heck. It's slow at work today
Old 06-27-2005, 05:42 PM

Ya' know, I have to confess to something here.

Before I bought my MT2, I started with the blue GMC 1 x 30 that you have pictured above. I was full of piss and vinegar after reading Boye's book and was convinced I could build anything. In that book, he explains that if you want to coat a contact-wheel with rubber, you just prep the surface and use a good epoxy with some tape to hold it while it cures.

After using my dremel and a micro-sized cut-off wheel to trim away the steel around the upper wheel of that little grinder, I tried Boye's method. No dice. The wheel is plastic and for some reson, I couldn't make it work. Plus, it took up all the slack in the tensioner so it was a bear to get off and on.

Anyway, that grinder still picks up some work in my shop here and there (probably more if I could ever get out there to make a knife ) but it looks like Jesse James has been chasing it with a plasma torch!

That's an idea! Let's have a contest to see who can customize a 1 x 30 to the greatest effect. Why don't one of you ol' timers with loads of influence around here sell the idea. It could be like one of those custom chopper shows on the Discovery Channel!

Andy
Old 06-27-2005, 07:02 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
1x42 belt grinder upgrade

Old 06-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Living Legend

Thank you, Aaron. Something didn't quite come out right with the signature thing because it didn't come out in a line below your post. Maybe someone can help with that.

I am glad I looked at your profile. For a moment I'd thought you weren't gonna share a name so I was just gonna be a weenie and start calling you "Bob".

Welcome, Aaron. You can learn a bundle here. Unlike me, these are nice people here.

Now, if I can only figure out if Roc is providing a link for 1x42 upgrades or an ad for selling forge monkeys I will consider today a success....
Old 06-27-2005, 10:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I have often wondered how he taught him to do that, and why does he make him wear that ugly shirt?

Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 PM
Steel Addict

That is weird that the signature did not come out. Let's see if it will now.

BTW, I have some pics of my first 3 knives and I'll start a thread for them.

Old 06-27-2005, 11:04 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
I have often wondered how he taught him to do that, and why does he make him wear that ugly shirt?
probably because the monkey doesn't know it's ugly. monkey probably think's he's steppin' out. you know, like polyester disco shirts.

Last edited by fitzo; 06-27-2005 at 11:06 PM.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives