MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 11-07-2002, 08:26 PM

Location: Clearwater FL. U.S. OF A . and don't you forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!
Gas Forges

HELLO ALL, I WORK FOR A LARGE GAS COMPANY IN CLEARWATER FL. WHAT I DO IS FIX LEAKS AND HITS ON OUR NATURAL GAS MAINS.OUR MAINS HERE GO FROM 60# TO8-10# I ALSO HAVE A LOT OF EXPERIANCE WITH L.P. GAS, SO IF ANY ONE WANTS TO ASK ABOUT GAS QUESTIONS [FIRE AWAY]. ALTHOUGH I CAN ANSWER OR FIND ANSWERS ABOUT PROPANE AND NATURAL GAS I CAN'T HELP WITH BUILDING FORGES AS THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIATIONS AND CONFIGURATIONS AVAILABLE. ANY QUESTIONS CAN ABOUT ORIFACE [DRILL HOLE SIZE] OR PRESSURES AND B.T.U. PER HOUR ,I CAN GET ANSWERS..............NOW GET ON OUT THERE AND BUILD A FORGE, I DON'T USE MINE OFTER BUT THERE NICE TO HAVE AROUNT THE SHOP!!!

Old 11-07-2002, 08:56 PM

hi steve.

im building a forge out of 12" dia pipe 20" long i plan on using the ron reil style burners im either going to use koawool or refactory still looking at the pros and cons of each. what i cant figure out is how many burners i would need. the inside dia. after lining would be 8". would that be btu's?

thank you

tbone
Old 11-08-2002, 11:34 AM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
tbone,

Go to Ron Riel's web page. On it he has a BTU calculator that works with the home made burners on his page. The BTU calculator is contained in a link off of Ron's "Forge and Burner Design" page at http://www.reil1.net/design1.shtml

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 11-08-2002, 09:39 PM

Thanks sjaqua

I don't know why I asked such a dumb question, I knew where that site is, that's where I got the idea to build my own forge.I had to call one of the guys that works for our company to get he volume of the forge. My math is not what it should be considering what I do for a living.I could never get the hang of the formulas for volume of pipes.

Thank you

TBone
Old 11-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi Steve, was wondering if any gas furnace burners have a #70 drill hole in a threaded piece with a filter on it. . I use a venturi burner for my propane forge that has a #70 drilled hole in a piece of pipe, once in a while a speck of dirt gets in the unfiltered hole and I fool around with a wire from a small brush to get the crud out of the hole, or blow it out with air.

Now that I'm thinking about it I might look into a oil burner/boiler nozzle which are filtered with sintered brass on the intake end. I have a oil fired boiler that we use for hot water heat in our house. have serviced it for 31 years, maybe i answered my own question.

Thanks,

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 11-10-2002, 07:41 PM

Location: Clearwater FL. U.S. OF A . and don't you forget it !!!!!!!!!!!!
GENE I DON;T THINK A OIL FURNACE NOZZLE WILL WORK,IT MIGHT EVEN BE DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS AS GAS WILL NOT PASS THRU IT CORRECTLY.DON;T EVEN TRY IT IN MY OPINION.ARE YOU SURE YOUR PRESENT ORIFACE IS A # 70 ? THAT SEEMS AWFULLY SMALL. ALSO, WHAT DO YOU HAVE FEEDING IT THAT YOU KEEP GETTING DIRT STUCK IN IT?

Tags
forge