MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:35 PM

1085 at rc50

Okay, here I go. I've read a lot of the posts (before joining), I've researched on the web, and now I want to build a knife. However, I want to start with just the handle.

So I've looked for premade blades, and I found a supplier who offers an 8 inch predrilled, ground blade in 1085 with a hardness of rc50. But from what I've read here and elsewhere, 50 seems a bit low.

I will say that it's just for an everyday camp knife, not meant for chopping trees.

Can I really do okay with that soft of a blade?
Old 10-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I guess you could but why would you when there are so many alternatives available? If all you want to do is the handle - and that's a perfectly good way to start - then just buy any one of the hundreds of commercially available kit blades offered at virtually every knife supply house. Most of those blades are stainless but not all of them (nothing wrong with stainless anyway). In many instances, they will also have partially finished sheaths for their blades so you can learn a bit about finishing sheaths while you're at it.

Any of the big suppliers like Jantz or Texas Knifemakers have these blades. You might try knifekits.com , they don't have the largest variety of blades but they do have a nice website....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Hall of Famer

If the HRc of 50 is accurate, you could get something harder by hammering the edge of the blade. Pass on that one. As Ray said, there are plenty of good finished blades out there in stainless, carbon, and even pattern welded steel. Any reputable seller of finished blades and knife kits will list the approximate hardness so get one that has a hardness of around HRc 58-60.

Doug

Old 10-16-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
If the HRc of 50 is accurate, you could get something harder by hammering the edge of the blade. Pass on that one. As Ray said, there are plenty of good finished blades out there in stainless, carbon, and even pattern welded steel. Any reputable seller of finished blades and knife kits will list the approximate hardness so get one that has a hardness of around HRc 58-60.

Doug
Thanks. After going over some more posts here, I did take a look at knifekits, and I like their selection. I'll probably give them a try for my first blade.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:32 AM
Skilled

Five2go...I find it strange that a blade made of 1085 would only be hardened to RC50 since it is easily hardened to RC60+. This sounds to me like either it was a misprint or possibly tempered back to that hardness. In either event, I'd pass on that blade and buy one of the available kit blades from a reputable dealer. You are correct in being concerned about a hardness of RC50. I doubt that you would be satisfied with such a knife. As Doug suggested, an RC of 58-60 seems to be a popular number for general usage.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Tipton View Post
Five2go...I find it strange that a blade made of 1085 would only be hardened to RC50 since it is easily hardened to RC60+. This sounds to me like either it was a misprint or possibly tempered back to that hardness. In either event, I'd pass on that blade and buy one of the available kit blades from a reputable dealer. You are correct in being concerned about a hardness of RC50. I doubt that you would be satisfied with such a knife. As Doug suggested, an RC of 58-60 seems to be a popular number for general usage.
I thought it could be a misprint, but I looked at several other blades they offered and they all were the same.

After looking at some other vendors, I ordered a 440a blade that is rated at 55-56.

By the way, the rc 50 blades were offered by Atlanta Cutlery.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Enthusiast

Question Perhaps...

Perhaps the reason Chicago Cutlery is offering out blade blanks with such a low RC is that they are anticipating the buyer will want to add his own handles with non standard fasteners or possibly do file work on the piece before re-heat treating to a more acceptable RC.

The lower RC would allow the assembler to customize the size and/or pattern of fastener holes are drilled.

Quien Sabe?

Last edited by rscoffey; 10-23-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 10-25-2012, 06:33 PM
Steel Addict

An other place to look for blades, if u want to practice handles, is your own kitchen. I found an old knife I owned out in the yard. I had a dog that could steal anything off the counter how she could get big knives out the dog door and never get cut I don't know. Anyway this knife is carbon steel it has rust on one side and is shinny along the edge. I ground over 1/4" off the blade sharpening on the can opener sharpener. The handle is chewed up pretty bad. I was going to pitch it but this is a good place to practice and not worry about ruining expensive material. You don't need an old knife you can sort of give a face lift to the cutlery your using. New handles, clean um up, sharpen them. (not on the can opener) Good as new!!!

Tags
art, back, blade, build, camp knife, cutlery, edge, file, file work, handle, kit, kits, knife, knife supply, knifekits.com, knives, made, pattern, sharpening, sheaths, steel, supply