MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-21-2005, 12:48 PM
Skilled

Vacuum cleaner as a dust colector?

I have a crafsman shop vacum I want to use as a dust collector.
It'll be very simple I'll just position a hose right below the belt.

My concern is that filter on the vacuum cleaner is probably not good enough to trap small particles and will shoot them in the air and probably make air pollution even worse(compared to a bucket with water under grinder)

What do you guys thing about it?
Old 08-21-2005, 02:15 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Any dust collector is better than no dust collector. Even so, you should be wearing a good respirator while you grind. The best way to set up a dust collector (or a shop vac) is to put the machine outside your shop and have only the hose or ducting inside the shop. Not always possible, of course, but desirable.

REal dust collectors are probably the least expensive piece of major equipment you will ever buy for your shop, hardly more than a good shop vac. Something to put on your Christmas wish list....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-21-2005, 03:07 PM
Skilled

Can you point me to some? Links, brands...
Old 08-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Grizzly, Enco, and Harbor Freight all sell them. Even a large 2 hp unit like I use only cost $250 when I bought it a few years ago, smaller units are much less.

Just from memory, i think the sites are:

http://grizzlyindustrial.com

http:www.use-enco.com

http://www.harborfreight.com

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-23-2005, 07:43 PM
Steel Addict

I conected my wood working dust collector to the grinder. I built a water trap to go inbetween, it was sombody elses idea and I will try to describe it to you. I used a 5 galon bucket with a lid( square plastic) it is a food bucket from a restaruant. The lid has a hole in it and a hose (4"I think it is called weeping tile hose without the holes, cheap stuff) that goes straight down into the bucket about 6" from the bottom. I put 5" of soapie water into the bucket. The vacume hose fits into another hole on the side of the bucket near the top and comes off the bucket at right angle. I do not seem to get anything hot past the bucket
I still wear a mask when grinding but this prevents a lot of dust from getting into the shop. I just think if the shop is full of metal dust I would have to wear a mask whenever I am in the shop?
Or like above move your grinder outside, put some wheels on it, and still wear a mask
Cheers Ron
Old 08-24-2005, 11:55 AM
Skilled

I use a 8-gallon Shop-Vac as a dust collector in my pipe-making workshop and it works great. One improvement that I've made is to use the bags that Shop-Vac makes for sweeping up fine dust:
http://www.shop-vac.com/dev/catalog/dept.asp?id=22

I also leave the filter cartridge in, just to get anything that might slip past the bag. No complaints at all - and I'm creating some pretty darn fine dust of wood, ebonite, and other stuff like antler and horn.

Old 08-24-2005, 01:27 PM
Enthusiast

I'm using a 16 gallon metal shop vac I bought at a yardsale for $8.00 I put a couple inches of water in the bottom to keep the hot sparks from igniting. Always clean it out before grinding any wood or flamable materiel. As for the fine dust coming out the exhaust, I run another hose out from the exhaust side with a damp rag held on with a rubber band. Might not be a true 'dust collector' but it's cheap and seems to work ok
Kevin