MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:26 PM

Corby Rivets

Hey everyone,

This may be sort of a goofy question, but we are after all, in the newbie section of this forum...
If'n your gonna want to use some "corby" rivets, do you want to drill the same size hole as the size of the rivet?
In other words, 1/4" hole in the handle equals 1/4" corby rivets??

Someone HELP!!!

Randall

I got my GRIZZ grinder in and put together BTW... I'm just waiting on the belt order from "Tru-Grit". Man, that thing is really built like a tank!!! I think it's going to be a really good investment. And as far as the speed thing goes, I've never used a faster or slower grinder, so I'll really never know the difference. I'll just learn to grind whatever way I can on whatever I've got to use... Thats the way I look at it... I wanted to post some pics of the thing, but my camera croaked on me...

I hope ya'll all have a great night...

Old 08-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

No, the 1/4" bolts generally have a 3/16" shaft and a 1/4" head. You'd drill a 3/16" hole all the way through, then come back and counterbore a 1/4" seat for the bolt head. Here are a couple of links for you to check out. I get my bolts and counterbores from James Poplin.

Corby Bolts from James Poplin
Counterbores from James Poplin

Click the banner above to visit my website
Old 08-16-2005, 11:21 PM

Thanks Terry,

I looked at that web site that you mentioned, and I see that those corby rivets are "stepped" so to speak. I guess It'll be a little more difficult than just 1/4" hole, 1/4" rivet... I ordered 2 different sizes of the step drills in sizes I thought might be pretty useful over a wide spectrum of material sizes. We'll see how that goes... I had pretty good luck with peening the pins. I do have a little problem splitting the scale wood sometimes... I just have to learn to stop smacking it ONE smack sooner than I think I should be stopping at... I tend to get a little over-exuberant at times... Any juicy secrets to it? Ican, after all, use all the help I can get...

Thanks again,
Randall

Old 08-17-2005, 01:13 AM
Founding Member *Sys_Admin*

Well, You shouldn't have any trouble "over smacking" these, because you don't smack them at all. I see the Corby's being referred to all the time as rivets, but they're not rivets -- they're threaded bolts. You screw them together.

Measure the thickness of the handle then grind the shafts on the Corby's down to where you can screw them together and have the slots protruding just above the surface of the handle. Then sand them down flush.

Click the banner above to visit my website