MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-17-2005, 07:12 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
Rays got pictures

Ray do you have pictures of the new forge set up yet if so we would like to see them bowie

Old 07-17-2005, 02:47 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Rumor has it that I am due to receive my fancy new Claiborne Forging Press in August. I'll believe that when Ron shows up at my gate! So, when that glorious day finally arrives I'll take lots of pictures and add a page to my Shop Tour with all the details. Until then, these pictures will have to do:

BTW, I had a black bear watching me curiously a few minutes ago when I took these pictures. Probably wondered if there was any chance my actions would result in food being left laying around.

In the first picture you can see the additional roof that I've added to the smithy to cover the forging press (should it ever arrive). The green chair is sitting on a pad made of railroad ties which is where the press will sit (shoul it ever.....well, you get the idea). Next to the chair is a chop saw which I figured might come in handy.

The forge is mounted on a swing arm so that I can push it out from under most of the roof when I want to use it. The blower is mounted on the wall and connected to the forge by a very heavy wire re-inforced plastic hose (far heavier than dust collector hose).

The anvil will need to be moved but I think 'll need some help with that. I also plan to put some metal above and around the forge to act as a heat sheild and duct the remaining hot air outside. Parts have been ordered to add an air dam to the forge also.

The forge has only been operational for a couple of days and nothing has been done to fancy it up - no paint, haven't trimmed the wool, etc and those things may never get done. We'll see. But, in one picture you can see an adjustable support in front of the forge opening which is there to support the long handle that will be welded to the billet resting in the forge. I stole this idea from Robert Dark, thanks RD!

There are still refinements that I plan to make to the forge before the press is delivered. Fortunately, I believe I have plenty of time to get them done (jab, jab)....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 07-17-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Very, very cool set up Ray.
Ron explained his press making philosophy to me this way, and I quote: "Ahh'm not a fast press builder, nor am Ahh a slow press builder.......Ahh'm a sort of a half-fast press builder" :evil

don't tell him I said that. I don't want to get on the wrong end of his pokin' finger....heehee.

Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM
Skilled

Lmao@ Roc

Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM
Living Legend

Hey Ray, where is Wauconda? I have lived in WA my entire 41 yrs. and I have never heard of or even seen it on a map. But then again you may not know where Yelm is either. Cool forge pics. I just got a new 110 lbs anvil last week and a 2x72 grinder two weeks ago. Needless to say I am a happy camper. My wife has filed a missing persons report on me though.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Wauconda is way North and East, about 16 miles from the Canadian border as the crow flies and about halfway between Republic and Tonasket and slightly North of them. It does show on the maps but not on all of them. Officially, it is listed as a ghost town. The only thing in downtown Wauconda is the post office and a restaurant - and they share a building! Only one stop light in a 100 mile radius of this place .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
forge, forging