MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-13-2005, 05:22 PM
Enthusiast

1095 Temper Line and Hardness

I just finished edge quenching and tempering a blade of 1095. The blade was submerged in the oil a little more than 1/3 of the way up (blade is 1 3/8 at widest point). When the blade began to polish up good, I can see 3 seperate temper lines. My fear is that I ruined the blade because at the ricasso area, the lines are approximately 1/8, 1/4, and 3/8" up from the cutting edge. Will this be sufficient enough, or can I normalize and re heat treat, or is the blade junked? I sure hope its not the last!! Any replies will be appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 07-13-2005, 05:36 PM

I don't know if that is enough of a hard edge to work with--I'm sure one of the pros here can tell you, but I don't know why you can't anneal it again and re-do the HT if it makes you more confident in the blade. Most of my knives started life as Nicholson files (hardened 1095). I anneal and proceed to make a knife. This would seem to be proof of 1095s re-workabily.

P.S. I have yet to see a hamon in my own edge quenched knives. You're lucky!

Andy
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 PM

Temer Lines

When clay hardening, the Japanese report having multiple temper lines and that it is a good thing. Although you are not using the clay method, I can't imagine why it would be different. It is still differential hardening.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast

I'm certainly no expert - but I certainly don't think you'd have any reason to junk it. Especially when you think of all the blades through the centuries that have been made from recycled steel and are still with us today.

Seems like going through all of your heat treatments again would most likely clear up your problem, although the way I imagine it it sounds like it would give it some character!

Tags
blade, knife, knives