MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:00 AM

The question of 'method' as it relates to the use of tools , jigs, and mechanical aid of all types is perhaps the most frequent debate I read in these forums. I even see this over in the Sheath Making forum..., hand stitch or machine stitch?

Consider this: Why not just make knives in any way that makes you feel good about your work, and tell the buyer how you did it. The buyer will know what they like. After all, they can buy a quality factory knife that will meet all their cutting needs at WalMart. They choose custom and/or handmade knives because they place value on the process used to make it. The degree of freehand work involved may or may not play into the desires of a particular buyer. Just let them decide. There would seem to be a lot of room for different styles in the custom knife market, and diversity at every level of creation process will help give us that. God forbid we ever agree on what the best way to do something is. Then, there will only be one way to do that thing. That would be as bad as making the perfect knife.

If a maker is motivated by sales, he/she will meet the demands placed on them by the client. If they are simply wanting to pursue an artistic outlet, (like me) then to each his own. I am new to knifemaking and will probably try many methods in the coming years. At this point, I prefer doing all grinding freehand. For me, that gives me satisfaction.

Just be willing to try something new and listen to the opinions of those who will kindly share them.

Andy
Old 06-24-2005, 08:16 PM

I use a jig, but it holds the blade at 90 degrees to the belt. I just angle the platen to adjust the angle. I use the jig to start the bevel, after I get a good grind angle going, I freehand the rest of the knife. Sure saves alot of guess work when starting a bevel. And I don't call it cheating, or mass production. Just saves a bunch of guessing the angle while starting the bevel. My jig is just a couple peices of angle iron bolted to the tang. I made the work rest bigger with some formica faced plywood on the KMG grinder. Works good.

Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 PM
Master

You got that right Andy and sure use the angle iron and arborite board it if it helps . Frank

Old 06-28-2005, 10:16 AM
Steel Addict

Bob Terzuola uses a similar fixture for his folders. You can see pictures of it in his book, "The Tactical Folding Knife".
Old 06-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Steel Addict

Amen Andy......It all comes down to craftmanship, pride and versatility....So like they say...different strokes for different folks. If you get right down to it....using a machine ( belt grinder ) Isn't handmade anyways. Parrell bars used to insure straight holes/slots on milling machines are a jig, and perfectly acceptable. Why not a jig for a belt sander?

Last edited by tmiller5087; 06-28-2005 at 11:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:34 PM
Living Legend

Some machine made the file, too, so how far back does it get carried?

I got nothing against jigs, but that one you got alex looks dangerous without some modification. I'll leave the exercise of why to you, but if you try it as is, wear armor.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:49 PM
Steel Addict

Hi fritzo.......flint knives knapped with granit are nice lol
Old 06-28-2005, 11:13 PM
Skilled

Fritzo, please tell me what's dangerous about it.
You don't want me to get hurt?

Alex
Old 06-29-2005, 08:47 AM
Living Legend

Blade will slip off narrow pegs, get caught between belt and platen, or worse, get flung around. Been there, did that, can almost guarantee there'll be an accident eventually as is. Bad things happen when blades wedge between those two surfaces.

Real nice drawing and creative. Think about what I said and if you agree then I bet you develop a second iteration shortly that'll be safer!

I grind freehand and recommend that for the same reasons others have counseled. However, I have no aversion to jigs if that's how you want to do it. Just be careful.

Good luck. Enjoy the knifemaking journey alrexkruzn. ( no "r" in fitzo either )

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives