MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:25 AM
Steel Addict

Frustration!

I need a sponser. Maybe one of you guys with 'discretionary cash' laying around the house would like to support the arts and replace my 29K a year dead-end job with a 29K a year allowance. Who's feeling like a philanthropist today? That would sure get you a Christmas card! I would even name my garage after you! Imagine, "Welcome to the (your name here) center for the industrial arts."

You see, I've been on my third knife for more than a month now, and just can't find the time to get out into the garage to finish it. I say third knife when perhaps I should say first letter opener. I used mild steel by mistake. I discovered this when I tried to harden it. I remember reading that story in Wayne Goddard's book and thinking, "Who would make such a rookie mistake?" But, I worked hard on the four, Loveless 'Big Bear' style, master bevels and I just can't bring myself to scrap it. I'll just use some cheap handle material and polish it down to the edge. I'll make it a gift to some neglected relative.

Anyway, I just want to make knives! I see other newbies crankin' out left and right, but I have two jobs which take up about sixty hours a week. Add the wife, pets, lawn, etc., etc., and, "poof" ...no more time.

So, I have decided that my job is in the way of my artistic pursuits and that cannot be allowed! The frustration is maddening!

Andy

Old 06-15-2005, 07:27 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I feel your pain, Andy. Here's a little hope for you.

Continue to struggle away and improve your craft. Even in your "early period," there are those out there who will take a chance and invest in your future by buying your knives. These folks are the true "Patrons of the Arts". Their purchases allow us to continue buying equipment and supplies while our skills improve. We owe it to these folks to hold down a crummy day job (we can't expect them to carry the whole load), so we can pay our way through life- but they are subsidizing our art.

If our talents -and our dedication- allow us to rise above some others striving in the same arena, additional "patrons" will buy what we make, at higer prices.

Without our customers, we could not be knifemakers, and we owe them a significant debt. If you focus on making the absolute best knife you possibly can, each time you make a knife (and have the grace to throw losers in the trash), you will probably get to where you want to be. Hang in there.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-15-2005, 03:03 PM
Skilled

Don,

That is great wisdom for all of us. Thanks.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 06-18-2005, 01:46 AM
Guru

For what it is worth I can remember feeling exactly the same way!! Hang in there as you keep at it a little here and a little there you will get better and FASTER. I would still like to spend a lot more time making knives and I think that day will come. But the more I do this the more effective the time I spend making knives is. I have been making for about 1 and 1/2 years and it just keeps getting better and better. Good luck to you!
Old 06-18-2005, 02:50 AM
Skilled

When it comes to knifemaking, time is money. But money also buys time. When I started out, I also spent a couple of weeks to finish a single knife. This was largely due to lack of experience, equipment and time. I made a point of putting profit back by buying more and better equipment and tools and after 5 years of making I still do. By doing so I am now able to finish up to 3 knifes a day, depending on style and detail of course. I still have my crammy day job and still need it to keep me alive because I still don't make enough money out of knives , but I'm slowly getting there.

Properly mark your material to avoid wasting your precious time by making masterpieces from mild steel. Try to make more time to spend in your workshop even if it means that you have to sleep less. A lot of knifemakers will tell you that they cut down on sleeping before a show or to meet deadlines in general. I have worked around the clock on several occasions to finish jobs in time. Prioritize on what tools and equipment you need to speed up your work and work towards obtaining what you need. If possible, build what you can't buy. All my beltsanders and discsanders were built from scrap and works perfectly. And lastly, practice, practice, practice. The more you practice, the more confident you'll become and the less time you'll spend.

Good luck and happy knifemaking.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:53 AM
Steel Addict

Add the wife, pets <------There are ways to cut expenses and cost of living to give you more time and money to make knives.We all have to make sacrifices
Old 06-20-2005, 03:53 AM
Steel Addict

Gentlemen,

As is frequently the case here in the forums, I get more than I bargain for.

A lighthearted vent draped in sappy humor is met with true wisdom and solid advise. Furthermore, that advise, reworded a bit, is a good lesson for so much in life. Thank you Don.

I have to remember to stop and smell the roses. I've been hearing that phrase my whole life--It never really made sense until now. There's just such a sense of urgency when you're '30-something' and life is not quite what you envisioned. I know more than a few of you can probably relate. I just wanna leave my mark... in steel

Thanks guys.
Andy.

Tags
blade, knife, knives