MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Cool Metal/Wood cutting

Looking to buy some inexpensive automation. Tired of hacksaw and angle grinder. Anyone know a good value in a power bandsaw that will cut both metal and wood.
Old 01-13-2017, 08:07 AM
Guru

http://www.harborfreight.com/horizon...saw-93762.html

that's what I use I don't think you will find one that cuts metal much cheaper,,,,i have heard of people using a portable band saw held up in a vise but never seen it in person and I think its probill not the best idea, the one in the link above with the right blade gets the job done very easilly
Old 01-13-2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks
Old 01-13-2017, 08:46 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Wood saws and metal saws run at significantly different speeds and they are constructed differently although they look much the same from the outside. Their blades are made in different lengths just so you can't put a wood blade on a metal saw or vice versa.

The saw dtec pointed out is the one most knife makers get when budget is important. Some do use a Porta-Band but that choice is usually because they have very small shops and floor space is the issue....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome Russ

As Ray pointed out, the two are totally different. I started out with one like the one in the pic. It cut pretty good but was aquward to use. I went to a portaband and still love it after two years of use. I have my portaband fastened to the wall out of the way. One nice thing is you can get good blades for it at any of the big box hardware stores. I think I pay 18 bucks for three at Lenex at lowes. If you don't abuse them, they last a long time.

The only way I know of to cover both your concerns is to throw money it it, lots of money. You would have to buy a good saw like a Wilson or import grizzly that have a gear box built in to change the speed drastically. Cheapest I've seen is about 2000 bucks for this option.

Cut depth is an issue with both of these opposition if your cutting out of large sheets.

Erik
Old 01-13-2017, 12:10 PM

Thanks for the response. How did you fasten it to the wall?
Old 01-13-2017, 01:01 PM
Hall of Famer

You could look around for stands for the hand band saws. I know I've seen them in the past.

Doug

Old 01-13-2017, 01:46 PM
Steel Addict

Russ it was pretty simple. I happen to find a dewalt for dirt cheap. Removed the top handle and screwed two chunks of scrap angle to the wall with a hole drilled the same size as the handle bolt. Didn't take ten minutes to do.

Here is a pic from my knifenetwork photo album.

http://knifenetwork.com/forum/album....pictureid=4291

Erik
Old 01-14-2017, 09:47 AM
Skilled

I am also in that budget category. I bought a HF port-a-band 3 years ago and it is
still running well. I have cut everything with this unit. I buy good blades and make
sure that I have blades for wood and metal. I even cut .25 304 SS for my bolsters on this.

[IMG][/IMG]

Good Luck,
Troy
Old 01-15-2017, 07:19 AM

You can use the stand mounted portaband (like Troy's) to do most of your wood cutting on the small scale. Not for splitting lumber and cutting up stumpage of course. But to square or split a blank for scales/handles and such it will work quite well. Just keep a dedicated 14 pt blade for wood only. Because the blade moves so much slower than the average wood band saw, you can really control the "split' very well, just make sure your blank is squared properly and then follow your mark. My big wood bandsaw rarely gets used anymore since I started using the portaband. I did make mine so that it clamps in a big vise which makes it very portable and stowable. Great when you have limited space work areas. Just make sure you fabricate your mount so that you can easily change out your blades.

Note: Bite the bullet and get a "deep cut" model. Extra width comes in handy on a lot of cuts. I've used mine to slice blanks from 48" circular saw blades once I've cut them in half with a side grinder. Much easier than you'd think.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-15-2017, 07:47 AM

I had a cheap Delta bench-top for a few years. It was anything but precise--blade twisted and wandered. I get far better (if somewhat slower) results from my variable speed scroll saw when it comes to handle material. There is no band-saw in my shop now.

To cut metal and trim away the 'fat' before going to the grinder, I use a $20 HF 4.5" angle grinder with cutting wheels on it. I can buy those in bundles for a few bucks and have enough for a year or so. It works like a mini chop saw and works FAST!

It's fun to throw sparks too!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 01-16-2017, 07:03 AM

****To cut metal and trim away the 'fat' before going to the grinder, I use a $20 HF 4.5" angle grinder with cutting wheels on it. I can buy those in bundles for a few bucks and have enough for a year or so. It works like a mini chop saw and works FAST!

It's fun to throw sparks too! ****

Yeah pretty tough on your clothes too! They are a very handy tool. I usually wait for the sale and buy 4 grinders at a time - kind of like burner phones, not made to last a lifetime. Anybody need power-tool pigtails? (Only part worth saving when they smoke out).

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-17-2017, 08:06 AM

Thanks to everyone who responded greatly appreciate you all taking the time. Lots of good ideas Thanks.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:16 AM

Update. Bought portable band at Harbor Freight mounted it like some suggested. Thing cuts through 5/32 1084 like butter with the blade that comes with it. Again thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:39 AM
Skilled

By "portable" do you mean the hand-held or the horizontal/vertical on wheels that sells for around $250?

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!

Tags
angle, band saw, blade, blades, bolsters, buy, cheap, dewalt, grinder, hand, handle, hardware, kit, knife, made, makers, metal, photo, scales, simple, small, throw, vise, wheels, wood