MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Steel Addict

New AirGraver for sale

I have one of the original Lindsay Airgravers available for sale. I bought one of the new Classic models with a PalmControl and will not be using the original. The reason I say this handpiece is new is because I sent my older handpiece back to Steve to fix an idling problem. Rather than fix it he sent me an new unused handpiece of the original style that he had on a shelf.
I would prefer to sell the handpiece alone without the regulator and foot pedal but will combine them if necessary. I'm asking $500 for the handpiece alone or $750 with the entire setup.
The company I work for (Delphi) is in bankrupcy and my wages and benefits are about to be decimated. It looks like a strike is looming. Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for the storm. If no one is interested the equipment will be going up on Ebay.

Old 10-26-2005, 03:45 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Andy

If you are willing to post it overseas and accept an international bank order from me I will buy it with the foot control and regulator. Naturally I would pay for the postage and any associated costs so that you would end up with the full $750.

Sorry to hear about your job. A real bummer!!!!!

Best regards
Andrew Biggs
Old 10-26-2005, 04:02 PM
Steel Addict

Well....unless there is some unforseen problem it appears the equipment is sold.

Old 10-27-2005, 06:53 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Cwax
Hello Andy Sorry about your Company been thru it myself?Its no fun .
If you have any trouble selling the equipment I will take it the whole unit. $750.00.
thnaks Joe Cera

Old 10-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Steel Addict

Wink

Andy,
Sorry to hear about yet another good paying job loss. I myself am facing layoff by years end.
I got to tell you, I've seen your work, this is the time to bust out and turn this misery into a great new beginning.
If I had your talent I personally wouldn't worry about too much.
I lost 20 years with the UAW with NO severance.
Now facing layoff again with no bennies after another 15 yrs.
Hope everything turns out ok for you and your family.
best regards,
Kent
Old 10-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Steel Addict

Sorry to hear of your plit Andy, I ran the skill centers in to plants for ten years and was layed off after the announced plant closing in Fitzgerald. Plant didn't close but I have been gone a couple of years. Hope all goes well for you and yours. Fred

Old 10-27-2005, 08:16 AM
Living Legend

hi andy . I agree with kent .. back in 1995 i lost a business and 350.00 dollars i though the world came to an end that is when i got serious about my engraving and i went full time . it took 2 yrs with only small jobs comming in but after that it went well i now am always backed up at least 6mo. up to a year with work .. what you have to do is alot of shows put your work on the table and go for it ,do alot of gun shows that is where most of the money is . if you want more advise give me a call .. hang in there ..there is light at the end of that tunnel .. ron

Old 10-27-2005, 09:52 AM
Steel Addict

Andy,
I agree with the others, you certainly have the talent to make a living as an engraver or as a knifemaker for that matter, but there is a long space between talent and enough dollars coming in to make montly expenses. I have been a full time engraver for most of my adult life (I can't really count the last five since most of that has been airgun business) and know the joys and pains of being totally self employed. It will take awhile to to establish some name recognition enough to get work in. Obviously you have some of that in the knife world, but whether that translates into enough knife or engraving work to stay solvent at this point, I don't know. Certainly I believe you would have that in 18 months to 2 years of doing shows etc., but you also have to live during that time as well. I have no idea what your lifestyle is or mandantory monthly expenses are, but being able to trim whatever those numbers are down to minimum is going to be essential, I would suspect. A supportive spouse who is willing to undergo some sacrifices as well is also helpful...

There is much to think about, and more ways than one way to skin a cat, if you want to chat with someone or bounce crazy ideas off someone, who seen or tried a lot of them, feel free to give me call.
Scott
Old 10-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Steel Addict

Wow, I didn't expect such an outpouring of understanding. I realize I am neither the first nor the last to go through the fire as such. I expect to weather the storm better than many. Being a skilled tradesman I will not be hammered down as bad as the non-skilled workers. Mine may only be a 40% pay cut with limited benefits left as opposed to what they intend to do to the production group. Those poor souls are expected to go to $10/hour from $26/hour. We are told by the executives that we are just too expensive compared to the Chinese. The management held meetings with their supervisors yesterday to warn them of possible violent repercussions from the rank and file. Although most workers understand that things can not go on as before it is very frustrating to have to bear the whole financial brunt while the upper management takes bonuses totalling some $87 million as "retention incentives" to guide our wayward ship back on course. These are the same executives who led the company while the stock plunged from an IPO of $17/share down to .33 cents/share.
Unfortunately this is the plight of America as a whole. Walmart alone drives 17,000 smaller businesses out of business every year in America.

I'm not bitter though

Thanks....Andy

Old 10-27-2005, 03:04 PM
Enthusiast

Job loss

Andy. I would like to add my voice to all the other comments.
Of course, I too am sorry to hear of your job loss and disruption to your lifestyle, scary I know.
But thank goodness for your talent, I'm sure you will be much in demand and land on your feet.
Your postings and pictures are much enjoyed by all and speak clearly of your huge skills.

My very best wishes to you.

John Barraclough.
Old 10-27-2005, 05:56 PM
Enthusiast

Andy, In 2000 I had 23 years as a general foreman in a major steel corporation. I knew the way things were going in the steel industry and sensed that it would only be a matter of time before my job was eliminated. They kept taking away responsibilites and duties to the point where you could throw enough bananas at any monkey and get him to do my job.
I ratcheted up my engraving contacts and spend 2 long years building a solid customer base.
It took a big set of cahonies to walk into the superintendent's office and hand in my 2 weeks notice, but I did it. In 2002, I walked out of that steel mill at age 44 and have never looked back. Hear this: I left the security of everything I've ever known for the chance to become everything I ever wanted to be.
I burned my bridge..........yours is getting burned for you. (That is irrelevant now, but they are doing you a favor)
You obviously have the talent to make it on your own. Throw every ounce of your passions and desires into becoming the best you can be and I guarantee you'll never be looking for work..........you'll be looking for a well deserved vacation.
Brian
Old 10-27-2005, 06:49 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Brian,
I didn't know I had another engraver living so close. Seems we are about the same age too.
Seeing as I live outside of Youngstown myself. I'm not sure I'm ready to take the big plunge but it is certainly on my mind.

Old 10-27-2005, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Andy,
Yep.........I'm only about an hour away from you. Taking the "plunge" was a very big step. I just knew I was going to end up engraving full time eventually.
I just didn't want to start when I was 65.
Old 10-27-2005, 09:33 PM
Skilled

Andy, sorry to hear about your job. My wife got the same deal 2 years ago. Worked at 2 hospitals here entire career, the last for 13 years. With no warning at all she came home jobless on halloween day and was in shock. There went our medical insurance and our steady paycheck. She was at the top of her pay scale and now who wants to hire a 52 year old woman when they get new kids just out of school for minimum pay scale?
Corporate america really sucks bad. There is absolutely no loyalty anymore at all and it seems all the big execs would rather support foreign workers than their own citizens and the government does the same thing. It always amazed me how they claim they losing so much money yet they still get multimillion dollar bonuses and salaries. Then the rich bastids got the gaul to expect the actual workers to take pay cuts!
At least working for yourself you can do what you love doing and you sure have the talent to make it. Best wishes for your future endeavors.

Old 10-27-2005, 09:57 PM
Steel Addict

Yes, being self employed is a big plunge. I should know I've been that way for 22 years now with my signwriting business. I have employed my daughter for the last 10 years (yes we are still talking!!!)

But, and this is a big one. Are you any more secure working for someone else? Judging by the replies I've seen posted the answer is NO.

Being self employed is not easy, financially you ride a roller coaster and mentally and emotionally it can be exhausting. It's also tough on the wife and kids. BUT so is working for other people!!!!.

There are also a lot of rewards in being self employed. You can control your time a bit better, financially it can be a lot more rewarding than working for others and you feel a bit more in control of your own destiny. Plus you are doing something that you want to do.

The first 2-5 years are the hardest and I still remember vividley stressing out about how I was going to pay for the groceries. Two years ago I #### near went out of business because not enough work was coming through the door. I've also had boom times where business has been great. I've made good decisions and some real stinkers. But I'm still here trucking on.

I'm not particulary clever or talented and what small amount of ability I have others have a lot more of. I'm not financially rich and never will be because I like working with my hands and always have. I'm at the mercy of having to have customers come through my doors and buy my signs. But if I worked for someone else my boss would have that problem so by default it's my problem too. So where's the security?

Andy, I don't know you personally but what I've seen of your work here on the forum and on your web site and the way you write your e-mails etc you would have a bright future.

Being self employed is as much about people skills as much as anything else. You obviousley have those in abundance.

Any road you choose is going to have it's ups and downs so you may as well pick a path that you want to tread. You only get one shot at this life so make the most of it. When one door shuts another always opens. You have talent, people skills and a good attitude. All of which are exactley the right attributes for being self employed.

Well that's my lecture for the day

Best regards
Andrew Biggs

Tags
forge, knife, knives