MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:41 PM

First Dagger - WIP

Making first dagger and very happy with how it is turning out so far.

Process:

Drew half dagger in computer. Duplicated line art, flipped and joined to original to create perfectly symmetrical template.

Profiled using Oregon Blade Maker 2X72 grinder.

Initial bevel grind -

Heat treated in a paint can forge and tempered in wife's oven. (She wasn't happy.) -

Reground bevels taking way too long but wanted to be sure everything lined up -

Hand sanded to 1500 -

Etched and hand polished to reveal hamon -

Not real happy with how hamon turned out, but it is still going to be a great knife and it is my first dagger.

Anyway, said I would post images of first dagger if it wasn't rubbish, so here it is. Looking forward to finishing.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:58 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Looks like a good start but, in general, a hamon on a dagger is wasted effort in most cases ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-08-2016, 01:47 PM

Agreed, no functional purpose with hamon on the dagger. I was trying to make it as beautiful as it is functional and I really like a well done hamon. Also, having one doesn't take anything away from the knife, only adds character.

Anyway, as I said, this one didn't turn out like I had hoped but it definitely has piqued my interest to learn more about the proper techniques for creating awesome hamons.

Thanks for feedback.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:31 PM
Hall of Famer

What steel were you using and is that a flat grind or a hollow grind? Did you use clay to produce the hamon or did it show up on it's own? I don't think that there is any real function for a hamon on a knife outside of a large chopper or maybe a double edged blade that's getting up to sword dimensions. Personally, I think that you did a real nice job, especially being that's your first dagger.

Doug

Old 08-08-2016, 05:40 PM

Doug,

Using 1095 from NJSB and I used satanite. After more reading, I'm thinking I may not have made the clay thick enough to keep the hamon near where the edge of the clay was? Maybe? Dunno...

I'm actually going to run some tests on another piece of 1095 with different depths of clay etc. Should be interesting.

Oh also, that is a flat grind.

Thanks for comment.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 PM
Skilled

I think that grind looks almost flawless, heck to my eye it is flawless. Looks great. I'm really impressed with the grinding. I could see myself getting to the 4th bevel and screwing it all up! LOL!

Frankly, I think the hamon is kinda cool looking.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:14 PM

Thanks for compliments.

I've done tons of reading leading into this project and frankly I was expecting lots of issues. I think I got lucky on this one but I'll take it.

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Just out of curiosity, what is the thickness of the blade where the hamon is?

Doug

Old 08-09-2016, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Lester View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is the thickness of the blade where the hamon is?

Doug
The hamon at the top near the ricasso is .190" and at the bottom near the blade tip is .156".

My quench process is 2-3 seconds in hot brine and then into hot canola oil. Just an FYI.

Thanks.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:41 PM
Guru

I love daggers! and that one looks great the bevels everything I like the shape of the handle too make sure to put up a pic when you get the handle done.....any ideas of what your going to do handle wise?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtec1 View Post
I love daggers! and that one looks great the bevels everything I like the shape of the handle too make sure to put up a pic when you get the handle done.....any ideas of what your going to do handle wise?
The scales will follow the curve of the handle and have three small pins. Probably going to be stainless pins with black micarta scales. This design could easily have bolsters and a different pattern for the pin(s). I don't know if you could tell but I'm a bit of a minimalist. Hahaha...I like simple, elegant and functional.

Old 08-09-2016, 11:35 PM
Hall of Famer

With that thickness I'm wondering if the hamon was automatic due to film heat-transfer control. Meaning that for steel in think sections like knife blades there is little difference between the cooling rate of the surface and center of the steel. The steel at the spine may have been too thick to convert to martensite. This also depends on grain size with fine grain size decreasing hardenability.

Doug

Old 08-11-2016, 06:46 AM

Quote:
dtec

I actually responded to you two days ago but the post seems to be in limbo land...I'm guessing because it had an image attached? I don't understand what the issue is. Maybe an admin can release it from prison.

Anyway, to answer your question, I am going to use maroon linen micarta for the handle and it will have three small brass pins predominantly towards the front of the handle. The pic I attached to my original reply to you is the drawing that I was using as my template. Hopefully it will show up sometime this year.

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:18 AM
Guru

where did you respond? ididnt see it I could have just missed it I do that sometimes....check your messages I just sent ya a private message
Old 08-11-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
where did you respond? ididnt see it I could have just missed it I do that sometimes....check your messages I just sent ya a private message
My original reply has finally been released. Look up in the thread a bit. Also, changed my mind from black to maroon micarta.

Tags
1095, 2x72, art, awesome, bevel, blade, dagger, edge, flat, flat grind, forge, grind, grinder, grinding, hamon, hollow grind, knife, make, making, paint, post, project, show, steel, template