MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-17-2015, 10:57 AM
Enthusiast

Weak side grind help

Ray or anyone that can help. I have already screwed up one knife today and working on the second. I am working with 1084 post heat treat doing flat grinds. As you can see from the pics my grinds are not the same. I am having trouble getting the grinds the same along the spine. I have tried tilting, more pressure, less pressure and different angles. With all the different things I have tried all I can do is get the wave to move up. As everybody has trouble on the weak side grind at some point or another I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 1.JPG (97.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (106.4 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:19 AM
Steel Addict

What I find really helps me is when both sides start getting close, finish your weak side first. You have more control with your strong side making it easier to match your weak side. The good news is that your weak side gets less weak with practice. Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2015, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Weak Side

I started with the weak side first. The wave was a lot worse than it is now I just could never get it to straighten out. Thank you
Old 12-17-2015, 12:37 PM
Skilled

When you're grinding your passes move your whole body and keep your arms mostly rigid. Also, actively remember to grip the same way that you gripped when using your strong side.

One thing I do too is to change how I'm applying pressure as I'm making a pass. For example I might start by applying more pressure near the spine at the beginning of the pass and then as I move through the pass I start putting more pressure near the edge and less near the spine. That way I'm raising the grind at the start of the pass but by the end I'm not raising the grind at all. It looks to me like you need to apply pressure close to the edge when you're near the ricasso, then apply pressure close to the spine in the middle, and finally apply pressure near the edge again as you get to the tip.

I hope this helps and makes sense. If not...well I tried

Old 12-17-2015, 01:22 PM
Skilled

That's the beauty of a true full flat grind. In the end it doesn't matter cause both sides are ground up to the spine. That being said, there isn't a short cut. You will get better the more you do it.

Tags
1084, advice, art, beginning, blade, edge, flat, flat grind, grind, grinding, grip, heat, heat treat, help., knife, making, post, wave