MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-28-2019, 01:24 PM
Steel Addict

"Life on the Base"

There were always sidewalks and porches to be cleared of the snow and ice, but you had to watch you didn't let your hands get too cold.They were always showing films of what frostbite
could do, sometimes their timing left a little to be desired.It was hard to eat noon chow after
just seeing someone's fingers or toes being removed,black and ugly...did affect the appetite.
Shortly after I arrived, their were two terrible plane crashes close by...a KC-135 tanker, and
a B-47 Stratofortress crashed within 3 days of each other, real close to the base.Sounded like
the end of the world.I could just imagine what it would be like if they hit the bombers on the runway....
I think there were eight or so that were always loaded with bombs, maintaining an alert status.
Remember this was before Vietnam,Iran, and all that....Russia was the headache.....I think Ike
was the president,not sure......

Tags
base, cold, vietnam