MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 12-20-2013, 09:34 AM

edge performance

Is it realistic to expect the average hunting knife to chop through 3/16 brass brazing rod with zero blade deformation? I primarily use 1075 differentially hardened with a 20 degree edge bevel. I can hack through 1/16 rod all day long without chips, bends or edge flattening. It takes a good 8-10 solid whacks with my mallet to chop through 3/16. I do get some edge deformation, however it is nothing that can't be worked out on the 220 sharpening stone. Chopping through metal obviously falls outside the parameters of intended use, but I want to make a good knife, and am not sure what level of abuse my knives should stand up to.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Steel Addict

I've never chopped through brass dressing out a big game animal but I have cut through bone. I think that if a knife performs well for its intended use, then it is a good knife.

If I can dress out and skin a bear without having to sharpen it, then I am happy.

Matthew 6:33 - It's how I seek to live.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the reply. I know a lot of folks are happy with results that are "good enough" however to take another man's money for a good or service made or performed by me the results must be exceptional. I do not have the experience to know what my expectations should be concerning the performance of this steel. I tested another blade to destruction today with similar results but lost the tip when put in a vise and bent past about 30%. Lacking a comparison standard I took my Buck knife of similar construction and tested it in the same manner. The tip of the Buck knife is now missing also. I feel that my heat treatment of this steel is satisfactory and will further refine it to suit the individual use and design requirements of future knives. Busting through elk bones/joints can be pretty hard on the tip of a knife in my experience and I need to have the confidence that my knives will outperform reasonable expectations.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:31 AM

my own expectation of a real good blade is a 3 deer cutter.if my knife will cut the brisket & skin 3 texas whitetails & still shave hair i consider it exceptional.--cranky72
Old 01-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Master

CPM 3V might do it but the nearest thing brass rod in a deer is the bullet jacket usually of gilding metal , 96 % Copper and 5 %n zinc.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Skilled

Whittling on dry oak heartwood is one of my preferred ways to test an edge for a hunter, as moose are in short supply in these parts...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:11 PM

While exploring the dark recesses of my shop today I came upon a 3/8 lag bolt that obviously had bad intentions. Armed with only my framing hammer and a 1075 differentially hardened blade I was able to defeat my would be attacker and still be home in time for dinner.

Last edited by Jon Kelly; 09-08-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:24 PM
Steel Addict

Hmmm the ol brass rod test eh? I thought that was all about rolling the knife edge on the rod to watch for slight deflection with out bending. Never heard of chopping brass rods to test them, but then again I'm fairly new to all of this. So I could be wrong.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:13 AM

ditto to mypeterson you are correct about the brass rod test. many makers however cut bolts of steel to show how tuff their blades are. one famous maker in the 30s did this to adveritise his kitchen knives. certainly this is nice if the edge doe'st roll or chip but the real trick is holding the knife so it does, nt rock back & forth. many blades even some factory will do this performance. i think cleaning feral hogs is a more valid test for performance. cranky72
Old 01-24-2014, 09:13 AM

I have Wayne Goddard's books too, and am fully aware of his 'brass rod test'. I started this thread with the hopes of receiving some input on edge performance expectations from other makers. I am finding that most makers either don't know that their blades are capable of, or don't care to share their findings. Whatever the case, I now have the confidence that my blades will hold up to anything my customers can dish out and then some; and I've had FUN gaining that knowledge.
Old 05-14-2016, 01:21 PM

I have been trying to get my test knives to chop through a nail with no visible signs of distress. I have not been successful yet but I I feel it is worth the effort to do it. I would certainly feel better handing it over to someone that spent hard earned money on it if i no it will handle it.

Tags
bevel, blade, bone, brass, buck, design, edge, flat, heat, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knives, made, make, man, metal, rod, sharpening, steel, stone, supply, vise, white