MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Master

Bronze baby!

So I had this going in another topic, but I am way too proud of myself not to rename it such! I had a hard time sourcing historically accurate tin bronze, and so decided to make it myself. Been working on it conceptually for a long time, but like always was a bit easier than I thought.

I seemed to have some problems with back pressure. The cavity was really small. It seemed almost like I was getting it hotter with less pressure since I could keep the lid on all the way. Any higher with the lid on and I feared my torch would melt. I started with propane and it melted 850 grains of tin and copper to flow point, but would solidify before I could pour. Man lemme tell you even with welding gloves that stuff is HOT . I busted out the big guns, MAPP. Brightest I've ever personally seen. Almost white! Plenty hot enough, poured with no problem.

Downsides, A full crucible didn't even fill the 5oz mold. I can fill it a little more but its pushing it. To make many bars I'd have to let the crucible cool down each time, fill it up, heat it back up again. Also I only have one graphite mold, but working on more from homemade recipe. Could get some more crucibles.

All in all, a good start I think. Estimated costs excluding shipping:

1 firebrick $5
1 lb satanite $4.50
10oz crucible $15
5oz mold $27
Pliers for pull tongs $.99 at the thrift
Tongs with tips forged to shade $1.99 at thrift

Total cost of project: $54.48
Cost if tin bronze was available commercially: <$54.48

I also used a tish of ITC-100 ($15 for 1/4lb), my TS8000 ($50) that came with the mapp, welding gloves ($15), and half face respirator ($30).

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Master

Old 05-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
Great job!!!

Larry Peterson
Old 05-09-2012, 02:43 AM
Skilled

Very cool!

You'll be casting bronze age blades before you know it....

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Master

So I was doing 10% tin, but the bronze was coming out WAY too hard and brittle. I read somewhere that this mix is as hard as iron, and I believe it. But I couldn't hammer it worth a darn, or draw it, or anything it would crumble. Also it does not flow well, and oxidizes heavily with a thick black film. While this was my ideal allow and would be great on a knife, getting it on there would be a problem as it cannot really be worked.

I've since lowered the non-Cu to 5%, and experimented with adding zinc. I was hoping to avoid zinc so that it could not be called brass by anyone. I've settled on .5% zinc, 4.5% tin, and 95% copper. It flows a little better, much more malleable, and much reduced oxidation when cast. With update when I test it further.

P.S. I can see why .5% phosphorus is added to tin to make phosphor bronze, probably for the same reasons. Cannot find a source of phosphorus so zinc will work fine.

P.P.S. Zinc is evil and fumes deadly toxic death when heated above 300-400F, even at half a grain, so YES I AM wearing a respirator.

Tags
brass, forged, hammer, iron, knife, make, project, tips