MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 01-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Enthusiast

Question Soldier Blade/High Speed Steel

A while back I asked about using industrial hack saw blades made from high speed molybnium steel for knife making. After some discussion (do a search if you are inclined) the majority thought it would make a tough, good edge holding knife. The drawback is that the blades have to be worked in the hardened state.
Well, I have made two knives from this stock for friends and they both think they are great. One friend has dressed an elk and a couple of deer and the other friend uses his knife as his work knife on his farm. There is a pic posted somewhere on the board of this knife - stabilized buckeye burl handle. I have made a study on the different kind of industrial, power, hack saw blades available and am sure my stock is HSS. It probably sounds strange but I really like working with this stuff. Also I have not found it to be brittle, doesn't rust easily, and holds and edge really well.
So here is my question. Those of you who have used HSS - how do you think a 8" kbar style full thang, utility, knife would stand up over in the sand box? I'm thinking leather sheath, with synthetic handle material. I would be willing to make a couple or four and donate them to our forces.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:28 PM

what is the thickness of youre blades??
Old 01-11-2006, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

5/32"
Old 01-18-2007, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast

Blades

I've made a couple of knives up using these Quite hard they are, not sure of using one in the big sand box as my main knife as a personel utility back up and general cutting tool yes. What I've seen used a 3/16" or 1/4" thick would be a better choice

Old 01-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Guru

I would make a few and really put them to the test. That's the only way you're going to know and be truely confident. If I'm giving or selling something that someone will depend on for their life, I want to be entirely confident in it. Since you're not heat treating and you don't know the exact steel makeup, you have to go the extra mile to be sure about the knife.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 01-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Master

Those who have been there say that knives are rarely used as weapons .Mostly it's as a tool for prying open crates etc . I'd like a thicker ,3/16 - 1/4" blade for that.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Enthusiast

Soldier Blade/High Speed Steel

Yep! I agree completely. I made several prototypes and used them myself and gave a couple to friends to "beat up". I decided that the stock I use needs to be heavier. I could never forgive myself if one of our soldiers got into a situation where they needed a knife and something I had provided failed them.
The knives I make with these sawblades seem to lend themselves well to hunting and camping. I leave some of the saw teeth on the back edge facing backward and they work well for sawing bone or wood. The thin blade works well for slicing and skinning. The moly HSS does not seem brittle as none of the knives I have made this way have broken. Since the steel is very hard I use an auto body grinder to profile and a diamond lap to flat grind. I used to do lapidary before I started making knives. It's not false economy for me to make these knives since I am using diamond tools I already had and the saw blades are free.
I use Brownell's bake on black, epoxy and it stands up fairly well.
I would like to thank all of you who advised me about the thickness issue. You are a great bunch of folks.

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives