MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:00 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Philip Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Philip Lee
High Speed steel

Greetings from Fiji,

I have come into some old planer blades from a friend , i beleive from the manufacturer they are either M2 or T1, has anyone out there have made knives from fully hardened planer blades.? And how does HSS steel handle in edge holding compared to say O1 or 1095. ?

Thanks in advance.

Philip Lee
Old 02-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Steel Addict

Either one will hold an edge much better than a simple carbon steel-everything else being the same, eg. hardness, blade geometry. They will be more brittle and break or chip easier.

Steve Hayden steve4663@gmail.com
Aztec, NM
Old 02-23-2005, 10:59 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to Philip Lee Send a message via Yahoo to Philip Lee
Just got the specs back on those planer blades they have 18% tungsten making them T1. I have grind one of the bars into a knife, the edge on the knife is incredibly sharp, slicing very thin paper effortlessly. I am very impressed with HSS steel's edge holding capabilities. The chromium in the steel makes it rust resistent also.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to srki Send a message via AIM to srki
I'm knew here and also don' know what planer blades means but if it's what I think - blades used in cuting steel machines then I have the same problem. I got a few blades from machines for cutting softer steel. but don't have any specs for them exept that they are hard, realy hard, sharp but hard to grind. Are these the same or?. do you thinh that I could make a folder knife from those blades -because drilling seems imposible. I made two fix blade knives and there exellent. Maybe if you could give me the specs i could do the process oposite prom hardening ( I do not know the english term for this - it is heating the steel to exact temperature and than slowly cooling to get rid of brittlenes and rigidity). but need to know kind of steel and look it up in tables. Do You have any expirience with that? ( I tried it just ones couple years ago-it seemed to work). sory for my english
Old 01-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Living Legend

annealing, heating to CT then slow coooling over a number of hours to soften the steel.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to srki Send a message via AIM to srki
thank's a lot-annealing. I found out that it is probably M2 steel (Don Robinson told me in another forum). and just saw that I wrote "I'm knew ..."-embarrassing. I made two simple fixed blade knives and it was realy hard to grind the steel and work on it in general, sharpen but they seem to me very sharp and holding it. I'm making folder now and that is much harder to do with this steel. I'm steel affraid it might be too brittle. Do You know anything about M2 and annealing or tempering? thank You again.

srdjan (pronounced like surgeon) stern
Old 01-11-2007, 09:14 AM
Living Legend

Dober Dan, Srdjan,

Here is a link to a .pdf file from a manufacturer of M2 that has heat treating information. Perhaps that will help.

http://www.crucibleservice.com/datas...TOKEN=88633184
Old 01-12-2007, 05:23 PM
Living Legend

The 1000 deg tempering means you will have to find someone with a HT oven or send it out. I have to do the same thing with my lathe bits I grind. I can harden them just fine but I do not have any oven that will get to 1000 deg (F).

Tags
blade, cancer, fixed blade, hunting, hunting knife, knife, knives