MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Steel Addict

'The Beginning" last part "The Army"#1

My dad had been in the combat engineers during the war, so he knew how to run any type of equipment.Every once in a while he would find work on a construction job, and we would live halfway normal lives...But his one big weakness was the bottle, and it seemed like he was always losing a job.I do know he was the hardest working man I ever saw, but the booze destroyed any chances we might have had.After the eighth grade, I gave up on school, and worked odd jobs.
My uncle was a sergeant-major in the army, had been at the Battle of the Bulge in Germany.
He became a recruiter...told my mom the only chance I had was to go into the military..And he
was sure right about that.I knew I could send a little money home, help out a little.
I turned 17 on the 24th of July,1958....On the 5th of Aug, I was on my way to Fort
Carson, Colorado...

Read below for 1st army post....

Last edited by T.WOLFE; 02-26-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:19 AM
Steel Addict

"The Army" Stateside

When I started basic training, I was 5ft 1in tall, and weighed 112 lbs.Barely made the minimum
requirements...I took to the army like a duck to water.I never saw so much food, and for the 1st
time in my life, I looked like everybody else-no perceived class distinction here, everyone looked
the same.The DI's were all Korean war combat vets, and they knew their stuff.Stone killers.
Physical exercise and running was a never ending thing.A lot of the big football heroes from
their high school days seemed to suffer the most.Carrying around too much weight...the emphasis
was not on strength, but endurance.I may have been small, but I was sure as hell no stranger to
hardship..Of course, the southern boys (me included) would sometimes pass out due to the thin air, but we would always be encouraged to keep going by a slap up beside the head.(this was
before the pc bunch decided this was too cruel).
A big sign in the messhall read",Take all you want-Eat all you take...I was in Heaven!!

Last edited by T.WOLFE; 02-26-2019 at 10:22 AM.

Tags
1958, army, ball, bee, beginning, germany, home, how to, made, man, military, small, stone, water