MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 AM
Steel Addict

"Guns, Knives and Self Reliance"

Growing up in Oklahoma, a boy was usually given his first gun around 7 or 8 years old.We were
taught what they would do, and the responsibility that came with it.I would roam the woods
and fields, hunting rabbits and squirrels..they always found their way into the cooking pot.
Naturally, you had to carry a good knife to skin them with..Every boy carried a good pocket
knife to school, as we would play mumbly-peg at recess.No one would dream of pulling one on
somebody, as they would be labeled a coward and get their butt kicked big-time.
.Recently, a neighbor's grandson had a finger-nail clipper taken from him at school, and received a stern lecture on how improper it was to bring such a thing to a classroom.I realize
that the "new way of thinking" has many old timers like me wondering "just how bad is it going
to get?" When will enough become "too much?" Just glad folks didn't think like this when our
country was founded....

Old 02-21-2019, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

When my son was in Boy Scouts, his troop was meeting in a Methodist church. They built a new mega-church and the kids moved over to it as soon as it was ready to be occupied. The church got a shipment of a couple of truck loads of chairs and so the Scouts were volunteered to unpack the chairs and move them to the sanctuary. So there must have been close to 100 Scouts and their fathers helping in this effort. How many pocket knives do you think were available?

Exactly 2. Me and one other guy had pocket knives. I about wore out my blade cutting boxes open for the kids to unpack.

When I was a kid, boys signed up for the Boy Scouts if for no other reason that to carry one of their Barlow knives. I was shocked to find that they're not allowed to carry anything sharp - even nail clippers. And that happened probably 16 years ago or more. Now they allow girls to be Boy Scouts.

I weep for the future.

Tags
a, bee, gun, guns, helping, hunting, knife, knives, play, pocket, pocket knives, sharp