MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > The Watering Hole

The Watering Hole Weekends, girlfriends or happenings ... no knife talk allowed!

Old 02-19-2019, 03:56 AM
Steel Addict

"The Alamo"

I read something the other day,called"the 20 worst military blunders in history".The author
claimed that the Alamo, rather than being a symbol of bravery and independence, should be
regarded as a great military blunder, and a grave mistake...Anyone besides TJ care to comment
on this?

P.S> remember Rick, I'm just the messenger here,,,they only shoot the messenger in those
Mexican drug cartel movies.Not on internet forums....

Old 02-19-2019, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Sam Houston considered it to be a huge mistake. It was a nightmare of a position to defend.

Regardless of the military value, The Alamo defenders were incredibly brave and they did make "The Napoleon of The West" pay dearly for his attack strategy. The massacres at The Alamo and Goliad served to rally Houston's troops.

Hollywood tends to go overboard on The Alamo and rarely, if ever, mentions the Battle of San Jacinto, which was one of the most lopsided victories in history. Houston lured Santa Anna into a trap. Santa Anna divided his troops, sending his artillery to defend the coast from the Texican's one-ship navy and a large contingent of soldiers to drive out settlers. He then led his men into a miserable, swampy bit of property that played directly into Houston's strategy. Critics may argue about the strategy, but no one can argue about the outcome.

The ancient Greeks had a saying, "I love my mistakes". Yes, you can love your mistakes IF YOU LEARN FROM THEM. The best knifemakers on this forum have ruined, broken, or destroyed more knives than most people will make. That's how they learned. George Washington was in charge of what was at the time the largest surrender in the British Empire in what is now Pittsburgh, PA. (Look up Ft. Necessity for details.) Washington learned from that embarrassing mistake and became an absolute wizard at escaping the British army during the Revolutionary War.

The reality is that if you're not making mistakes, you're just not trying hard enough.

Tags
army, knives, make, making, military, trap