MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 AM
Misternatural?

Here's that knife with a mahogany scabbard. The blade is 8 inches long from 1/8 inch 1095 with a full distal taper. It's aprox., 2 inches wide at the widest part. The leading edge is slightly convex. The overall geometry is designed for slicing. I have one that I use everyday. It's tempered at 425-450 for ease of sharpening and toughness, but the ratio of edge holding vs. ease of sharpening is very good. It'll go a month or so without re-honing, just stropping to touch it up. When it needs honing I go to a soft Arkansas, then hard, then black hard in just a matter of a few minutes by hand. It's also light weight and well balanced for performance. The wrappings are woven cotton cord. The entire handle is sealed with shellac for waterproofing, making it easy to wash and clean. I don't recommend putting it in an automatic dishwasher though.

Here's a 5 phone book paper tube cut I made with mine,... with one clean swoop.

Old 12-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Bevel - straight V, angle?

Flat grind from spine to edge, leaving about .020" at the edge and then full convex.

Width at spine? Width at edge before sharpening?

Width at spine: 1/8"

Angle of edge? 15deg?

30 degrees total if a secondary micro-bevel is used.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misternatural?
Here's that knife with a mahogany scabbard. The blade is 8 inches long from 1/8 inch 1095 with a full distal taper. It's aprox., 2 inches wide at the widest part. The leading edge is slightly convex. The overall geometry is designed for slicing. I have one that I use everyday. It's tempered at 425-450 for ease of sharpening and toughness, but the ratio of edge holding vs. ease of sharpening is very good. It'll go a month or so without re-honing, just stropping to touch it up. When it needs honing I go to a soft Arkansas, then hard, then black hard in just a matter of a few minutes by hand. It's also light weight and well balanced for performance. The wrappings are woven cotton cord. The entire handle is sealed with shellac for waterproofing, making it easy to wash and clean. I don't recommend putting it in an automatic dishwasher though.

Here's a 5 phone book paper tube cut I made with mine,... with one clean swoop.

NICE WORK!
Old 04-25-2011, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatgrinder View Post
NICE WORK!
Mr Natural this knive is impressive so is the case. Its so nice I am considering not making knives at all now.

Finally got the Tormek T-7 sharpener and looking for a grinder now.

Any new developments in the chef knife area since 2007? I see Kramer knives are the top of the heap, and belive it or not Rachael Ray has an awesome set of knives that she proud to have helped design.

Last edited by twistedneck; 04-25-2011 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdStreet View Post
'french' knife would be the classic triangle shaped chefs knife. I think if you really get down and looked at what's being use you will find it's whatever their supplier likes to stock As many resturants are not that concerned with what knife they use as they are quite bad in the abuse department. The recomendation is stainless steel , no wood and perferably no cracks or gaps, something they can toss in the dish washer and put thru abuse, they sacrifice cutting and edge holding over abuse friendly.

Also if you head over to places like cooking.com the pampered chef and other places like that and take a look at the best sellers you will see a trend.

Also if you look at the 'iron chef's on food network you will see in the original japanese version they all use custom hand made knives, in fact http://www.chefmorimoto.com/knives/knivesinternal.htm

Ed
Great link to that site! Loads of good recipes and tips for when I'm in the kitchen later

Tags
awesome, blade, chef's, chefs knife, custom, edge, forge, hand, hand made, htm, iron, japanese, kitchen, knife, knives, made, stainless, stainless steel, steel, switchblade, tips, wood