MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:45 PM
Steel Addict

Boron is used for coating and alloying to increase hardness. The military uses it for certain armor plates. We use it (at Boeing), for the plates inside our shot peen machines and cutter coatings.
Rhenium diboride is an alloy of rhenium and boron.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhenium_diboride
Your friend must work at the Auburn plant. I worked in tool salvage for a year, and wrote many a special grind order for those.

When you get your Ti coating up, let me know, I might have you do some fittings in the future.
My steel should harden up nice with a small amount, and lose little toughness, (I'm hoping).
I have some ferro boron that would work quite nice in a melt.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:29 AM
Skilled

Ahhh....Mr. Finnigan, you are the culprit I have to thank for my headaches and bleeding from the ears. ;~) Just kiddin', I like feeling inadequate. It's my natural state.

An Jerry, I'd kick your butt off too if you were impertinent enough to ask a question my genius could not answer. Of course, we know that's not possible. ;~0

Hey, since we're on tooling. I've worked in the hardwood timber industry for some years. We used something called stelite on our band saws. Have you heard of it? And what the heck is it? Because it is pretty tough stuff. Way better than carbide.

chiger,
Old 10-05-2008, 02:02 AM
Living Legend

I remember reading up on Talonite and Stellite. It looks like some challenging stuff to work with but has it uses.

From Wikipedia:

Stellite alloy is a range of cobalt-chromium alloys designed for wear resistance. It may also contain tungsten and a small but important amount of carbon. It is a trademarked name of the Deloro Stellite Company and was invented by Elwood Haynes[1] in the early 1900s as a substitute for flatware that stained (or that had to be constantly cleaned).
Properties
Stellite alloy is a completely non-magnetic and non-corrosive cobalt alloy. There are a number of Stellite alloys, with various compositions optimised for different uses. Information is available from the manufacturer, Deloro Stellite, outlining the composition of a number of Stellite alloys and their intended applications. The alloy currently most suited for cutting tools, for example, is Stellite 100, because this alloy is quite hard, maintains a good cutting edge even at high temperature, and resists hardening and annealing due to heat. Other alloys are formulated to maximize combinations of wear resistance, corrosion resistance, or ability to withstand extreme temperatures.
Stellite alloys display astounding hardness and toughness, and are also usually very resistant to corrosion. Stellite alloys are so hard that they are very difficult to machine, and anything made from them is, as a result, very expensive. Typically a Stellite part will be very precisely cast so that only minimal machining will be necessary. Machining of Stellite is more often done by grinding, rather than by cutting. Stellite alloys also tend to have extremely high melting points due to the cobalt and chromium content.

Alpha knife supply carries Talonite if you ever want to get some to paly with.
http://www.alphaknifesupply.com/talonite.htm

Jerry, yes he has worked there for 25 years now and has kept me supplied with some interesting tooling bits. Stuff that was headed for the recycle bin gets ah......recycled but just in a different shop.

I just got 40 Kennametal carbide inserts that he re-sharpened for me. They are used on a rotary fly cutter type head. But I made lathe chisel holders for them instead.

I have plans to make a face mill to accomadate them also. The one I am using now has four indexable bits that cost $14 a piece.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-05-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Steel Addict

Gee Brent, after the strike, you should go for a tool design job at the lazy B.

When i was doing some research on nitrogen and boron hardening, almost all the sites were in Russian. I think the west is falling a bit behind in that area of metallurgy.

BTW, it's interesting that boron forms a covalent bond with rhenium. That means at least an intermatallic, although technically a "molecule" . I get flack for that term also.
Did I mention I need a grant??
I actually asked the company for one before this project. Just a small one to cover supplies.
They kind of politely chuckled until they saw the result.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Living Legend

Boeing seems to politely chuckle at alot of people. I believe their chuckling is costing them $100k per day now. And thier Dreamliner is pretty much still a dream for the customers.

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 10-06-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:08 PM
Master

Large corporations always develop the NIH [not invented here ] syndrome ! That can cost them many millions !!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mete
Large corporations always develop the NIH [not invented here ] syndrome ! That can cost them many millions !!
Well, i signed a patent clause when i was hired, but at least their refusal to help me out, means that it is all mine and Dr. Scott's. Their loss I guess. I'd sell it to them for 2 to the tenth power of what I originally asked now.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:28 AM

Impressive! This is pretty interesting stuff. I am looking at the periodic table right now, I would expect it to act like Mn, but because the crystal structure is different and the size of the lattice is different, it would probably be a dispersoid former, and act to raise the recrystallization temperature.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife