MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:51 PM
Enthusiast

Vanax

I went off and bought a piece of Vanax (nitride steel). for testing it will start in the kitchen as a a serrated paring knife. I haven't formed an opinion this quick on how it cuts, time will tell. bottom line up front, I did not have any problems working with this steel. it cut normal on my bandsaw; not any harder to cut than S3V. Profiling i did not notice it harder to shape; normal hi speed surface speed used. Drilling, it was as each to drill as S3V. Hollow grinding went off without any warpage or anything out of the ordinary. i single enveloped the blades for Heat Treat. I followed the directions ran it at 1975F for 30 minute soak. during quenching i did not have any extreme warpage issues. (i used quench plates)
As hardened my blades read 54 HRC
A liquid Nitrogen quench was performed, hardness went to 57 HRC
Tempered at 390 F for 1.5 hours, hardness was now 60 HRC.
I was really impressed with now nice a finish this steel took. I really think if i had wanted to put time and effort i could have got to a scratch free mirror. I got real close without even trying.
That's my take so far. I don't know that i will make any more knives out of it; it will really have to excel in edge retention for me to be heating my heat treat furnace up that high. hope this helps someone, thanks for reading, God Bless.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 AM

nate i would be very interested in your follow up on performance. bohler has taken this alloy out of inventory & went to the vanadis series. i.ve heard that there were some problems with vanax but have no concrete info. cranky72

Tags
art, blade, blades, edge, grinding, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, make, mirror, paring, paring knife, retention, scratch, serrated, steel, surface