MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Cpm 154 cm

Here is my initial and most recent experience with CPM 154 CM. Quick Background so everything is clear: I've quit hollowing grinding with a 8 inch diameter wheel. my kitchen knife making opinion is the 10 inch hollow grind is easier to slice with. I also mirror polish twice and then come back down to the finish i want. I heat treat to 62 HRC and stress relieve. Finally i only sharpen to whatever course is because i loose the super fine edge so quickly that i don't see the point.
Here is the bottom line: I skinned out and quartered my most recent wild hog with zero problems with this alloy. I still had a sharp knife upon completion and I was pleasantly surprise. I didn't have any remaining to wild game to field dress to take it all the way to dull. oh and re-sharpening it with diamond sharpener was not time consuming at all.
I'm really pleased with the performance of CPM 154CM; if someone wants a little easier to resharpen and a nicer finish that S30V, 154 CM is an alloy to consider. thanks,
Old 11-28-2012, 03:58 AM

What angle are you sharpening the edge?
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 AM
Hall of Famer

Don't use it to unstick windows with. Not a very forgiving alloy when it comes to being used as a pry bar. Stupid is as stupid does.

Doug

Old 12-01-2012, 05:59 AM
Enthusiast

Damon,
i don't have a clue. whatever the DMT Vee deal is set at. the following is just my opinion: as long as I got the cutting edge angles on both sides the same or equal this hayseed won't be able to tell the difference while processing game.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:30 PM

This is the "theory vs real life" issue that I battle with in my head all the time. Thanks for the tip on the DMT Vee, I saw one set at 20 degrees. Since that angle works then that is where I can start. Would you recomend 154cm to a new guy who was willing to ship out for heat treat? I cant wait to process an animal with a knife from my own making.

I am mostly sorry to hear you ran out of meat to cut up...Unless your freezer is full.
Old 12-02-2012, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

CPM 154 CM may be a bit pricey for your first knife and may slow you down. Grab some hi carbon stainless sheet you can afford and make the sparks fly. Keep reading on here for more pros and cons opinions that are alloy specific. When you start processing game with your own knife, i'm warning you, you'll be hooked.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Steel Addict

nate d. which are you using CPM 154 or 154 cm. They are two different processes.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Enthusiast

It took me a minute to make sure i wasn't being a smart ass with my response. I'm using the powder metallurgy version of 154CM. I think i said that correctly.
Old 12-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Steel Addict

Then that is CPM 154 . You are correct in that it is the "powdered" steel process.
Not trying to be smart either but some people do not understand they are a different process. I use the CPM154 which is said to have twice the lateral strength of the 154cm.

Tags
angle, art, blade, diamond, edge, grinding, heat treat, hollow grind, kitchen knife, knife, knife making, make, making, mirror, polish, powder, sharpening, steel