MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 12-20-2011, 08:15 PM

Anyone knowledgeable of Cowry-y steel?

Reading this article in the 10th paragraph it mentions some of these "super steels", claiming cowry-y capable of up to RC67, which seems pretty insane. Found its chemical make up:

C 1.20, Va 1.00 , CR 14.00, Mo 3.00.

I've seen very little information on this type of steel, and absolutely no info on HT process anyone know about this?

Last edited by Megabug; 12-21-2011 at 05:49 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:59 AM
Hall of Famer

With that amount of chromium it would be a stainless steel. With that much carbon with those other alloying elements there are going to be plenty of hard carbides and with those amounts of vanadium and molybdenum it should be a high temperatue tool steel and, as such, have a relatively high brittleness.

With that high of an alloy content and large amounts of carbide formers a long soak and higher temperatures would be needed to disolve an optimal amount of carbon into the austinite for martensite formation. It would have to be air quenching. The high vanadium and molybdenum content grain growth may be retarded. From what information that I have on another high steed tool steel you might be able to get a reasonable hardness at about 500 degrees but I would expect it to have a secondary hardness peak for tempering. It should also retain austinite and may be improved with cryo treatment.

When the article mentioned achieving an HRc of 67 I immagine that it ment as quenched hardness, really meaningless when it must be tempered to use. Don't fall for the super steel hype. As I said, this steel would be brittle and the flip side of fantastic edge retention is being a PITA to sharpen.

Doug

Tags
blade, stainless steel