MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Registered

wow...this thread is nearly 3 years old.
I prefer CPM154 for a couple reasons. It is basically ATS34 but smelted different (double vacuum= cleaner, less inclusions) and is particle mixed (more homogeneous mixing of all the alloys) and it has just a touch of Vanadium for a small grain. It takes an insanely clean, high polish. It takes a very sharp edge. (You can feather out the wire edge to nearly 1/8" when sharpening- which doesn't mean much - it's just interesting) It holds an edge fairly well and re-sharpens very quickly.

BG42 is a good steel and is similar to ATS34 in composition with a little more Vanadium (and I think a touch more chrome(?) but can't recall for sure. Lovelass made BG42 famous when he announced he was shifting to it from ATS34 some time ago. It will take a nice polish but not as nice as CPM154. BG42 is good knife steel. You won't go wrong using it.

The vast majority of ATS34 is fine. It has had enough cosmetic issues over the last several years (inclusions, weird cloudy swirls, blotches - I have seen them all) that has caused a lot of makers to leave it for something else. It's just not worth the pain to have a lot of hours in a knife and then have to dump it due to ugly cosmetic issues.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:22 AM
Enthusiast

Yes. I serch at the high perfomance blade forum on ats 34, finf this thread and start to read. .

Well, that sounds not so nice with the inclusions in ATS 34. I have heard that BG 42 is difficult to hardening. I do my own hardening. I think its going to be CPM 154 or 154 CM, 154 CPM is a powder steel and 154 CM is not if i have understand everything correct. Do you know a good webbstore were i can find the 154 steels. CPM 154 must be close to RWL 34 if i have understand everything.

Seved

I make knives and blades.

Last edited by seved; 10-15-2008 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Guru

I think you'll be happy with either of these steels. CPM154 is easier to find and cheaper than BG-42. I'm not Tracy and I can't speak for him, but most makers transitioned from ATS because it was not coming out as clean as 154CM. It's been a bit of back and forth between the steels for years.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Enthusiast

It looks like i should by CPM 154, i think its a bit easier to harden. AcridSaint do you know were i can by it more than admiralsteel.

Seved

Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Guru

You can purchase it directly from Crucible Services. Chuck Bybee at Alpha Knife Supply also sells it, I ordered some from him a few weeks ago to try out.

Not sure, but Tracy might sell it also.

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 10-15-2008, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you AcridSaint, i try it . I looked at Tracys site but i dont think he have it.

Seved

Old 10-16-2008, 07:59 AM
Registered

I'll be listing it soon on my site. I just haven't had a chance to it yet but that wasn't my motivation for discussing it here. I've been a believer in cpm154 for some time now. Prior to that I was using rwl34 (the European version) for a couple years. If you are in Europe, get some RWL34 and give it a try. Several of us from here even tried to import a bunch through a dealer Canada a years back but got shut down by the factory on that one.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 AM
Guru

I've mentioned to friends before Tracy, I have a lot of respect for the fact that you don't interject in threads just to sell something you have in stock. Seems like some folks on knife forums are more interested in selling than helping.

This quote pains me:
Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
Registered

'preciate it Cap. Life is too short to wear out your welcome.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you tmickley, no i dont think you answer just becouse of that. I am glad you could help me.

Oh great that you are going to list it. I just got a packege from you very fast and you have great stuff for sale, so i soon order some more. Yes i living in sweden so here is it easy to find RWL 34 its very nice to heattreat very easy i think. But i want bigger sheats so i could lasercut it, he cant cut to smal sheats.

Seved

Old 10-17-2008, 04:33 PM
Guru

The nice thing about CPM154cm is that your RWL-34 heat treat should work the same, no change in procedure.

This quote pains me:
Old 10-17-2008, 06:19 PM
Enthusiast

That sounds realy nice AcridSaint. I have to look up some ht information. Crusible services should have it, i hope.

If i remember wright i use to preheat to 750 C and then i have 1080 C as hardening temp and hold it for 10 min for RWL.

Seved

Old 10-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

My heat treat recipe (from crucible)
for cpm154, I fast ramp it to 1450, hold for 10 minutes then fast ramp up again to 1950F, hold for 25 minutes and then plate quench. This gives me a 61.5 to 62RC. Then into cryo liquid nitrogen for 8 hours. This gives me another point in RC hardness. Temper at 450F twice for a 59RC.
Old 10-18-2008, 03:33 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you Tracy. Almost the same as i do with RWL.

Seved

Old 10-20-2008, 05:46 PM
Skilled

Jesse
Hard to believe this thread is 3 years old. When I started making knives 3 years ago I used ATS34 from Admiral Steel. Used their heat treat recipe. Some of these knives are used in the field every hunting season with excellent results. I started forging 2 years ago ( another journey ) and have not made a knife using ATS since. I'm having second thoughts about going back to making a limited amount of the ATS per customer demand.

One of my best customers has used his knife in Alaska, Idaho, and good ol Nevada. He has used it on everything from deer, elk, moose, and black bear. He is very satisfied with the edge retension and ease of resharpening when needed.

With that said I should use that as a no brainer. I will finish with that I satin finish all my knives to 600 grit with good results.

Just another point of veiw.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives

Tags
blade, folding knife, forging, knife, knives