MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > High-Performance Blades

High-Performance Blades Sharing ideas for getting the most out of our steel.

Old 11-21-2006, 07:17 PM
Steel Addict

They are in Montana, I plan on visiting their shop one day. I am sure they have worked out the bugs. Thanks for the information.
Take Care

Old 11-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fowler
They are in Montana, I plan on visiting their shop one day. I am sure they have worked out the bugs. Thanks for the information.
Take Care
I saw an article on how they do their handles a number of years ago and it was fascinating. They use clay molds and just stick the tang in a slot cut into the molds. All of the aluminum handles have the slots cut out for the handle slabs, so all they have to do is clean up the alumuminum and attach the slabs, snad them down, buff and voila! a completed handle. If I recall correctly, they drill a hole or two like we all do in the tang and the molten aluminum flows into the hole making a "monolithic handle pin".....my own term....quaint, ain't it? lol. I don't remember how they did the pinning of the slabs., but i would thinkk that you could have pin holes in the mold so you could just peen them over once you got the slabs on. The whole process was really a pretty ingenious technique IMHO and they used it on all of their knives except for the big bowies that got regular round stag handles.
Old 11-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Steel Addict

I have a theater knife made my Rudy in 1938, double ground and it is one beautiful knife. He case the guard on the blade, then elk antler slabs and a pommel that was cast seperately. Rudy was ahead of his time with this one, he knew very well how to design a great knife. Every aspect of the geometry of the blade speaks to function.

Old 11-22-2006, 07:42 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fowler
I have a theater knife made my Rudy in 1938, double ground and it is one beautiful knife. He case the guard on the blade, then elk antler slabs and a pommel that was cast seperately. Rudy was ahead of his time with this one, he knew very well how to design a great knife. Every aspect of the geometry of the blade speaks to function.
I have never owned a Ruana, but it is one of the knives that is on my short list. I really like the look of the Lewis and Clark commenmorative that they did recently. Althought Rudy and his descendants never were as popular in the mainstream culture as Randall (I would gues primairluy because they never courted the military market like Bo did) for many a year, when I thought of high quality forged blades, there name was on my short list, along with Randall, Bill Moran and Bill Bagwell. I guess the Rudy and the family have been perfectly happy making th number of knives they make the way they want to make them and that's ok with me too.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:12 PM
Skilled

Cool old thread-new info!

Dear metal casters,, I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the book company called, "Lindsay Publications",, they print out a cheapy catalog, about 3 times a year, full of do-it-yourself stuff, lots of metal casting books ect., lots of authors. Do a "google" search, it will come up! -----Jon

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives