MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:35 PM
Enthusiast

What SS foil

Wanting to grab some 309 High temp ss foil, am I grabbing the right stuff???
Old 03-16-2017, 07:53 AM

I purchased the stuff Texas Knifemaker's Supply sells many years ago. I don't know what it is, but it works just fine. It's about $45 a roll and makes a bunch of knives. 2000* max temp.

Its more about the crimp you put on the foil packet and I make sure to add a pinch of paper towel in the packet to burn off the O2.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-16-2017, 09:13 AM
Guru

When you get the foil just get the kind that you can find with the highest temp rating,...I forget mine is either 2200 or 2400 deg. You should also get some brownells anti scale coating, The way I do it is I will only use the foil if I am using plates to quench (usaknifemaker sells the plates get the biggest you can afford the bigger they are the more heat they suck out of the steel) If I am going to quench in oil I don't use the foil. Some guys rig a basket in the oil so you pull the knife (in the foil packet) out and really quickly cut the packet open and let the blade fall into the basket in the oil. I don't like that its a lot of fiddling around getting the steel from oven to oil. you want to do that super fast. So instead I use the brownells antiscale coating (you just paint it on the blade) so I pull it out and right to the oil no messing around trying to get the steel out of the packet. Also I did get your message and will answer today on how I do s35vn and with that yes you can use the foil and plate quench it but it comes out MUCH MUCH better if you do a combination of oil and air wich you would want to use the brownells coating for.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:17 AM
Guru

here is the link for the brownells coating I was talking about

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod23076.aspx
Old 03-16-2017, 01:36 PM

I never needed the coating due to the paper towel, but I hear that it works well.

I too plate quench while they are still in the foil. My plates are 12x12x1 solid aluminum.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Guru

Andrew....yeh I put a piece of paper in the foil packet as well. What I ment is when I use plates i use the foil and yeh i plate quench with it still in the foil BUT when i am doing a oil quench i use the brownells coating in place of the foil. I wouldn't put the whole foil packet in the oil and messing around trying to cut the foil open between the oven and the oil is something i like to avoid so the brownells is anti scale protection instead of using the foil as with plate quenches
Old 03-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Gotcha!
I've never done anything except a plate quench on the stainless alloys I use the Paragon for.
Carbon steels get HTd in my little propane forge.

www.kansasknives.org

Old 03-17-2017, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

I also use the stainless foil for my S30V knives and after hardening and temper I get a consistent 60RC on my blades. I do one other thing with the aluminum plates. I keep the aluminum pressure plates in my shop fridge-freezer and about 4 minutes from 1950 degrees to being able to handle with bare hands with no discomfort.
That Brownell's anti scale coating works great on carbon steel knives that require a oil quench. It will also flake off the steel in the oil quench that saves time on clean up of the blade.

Tags
blade, blades, carbon, degrees, forge, handle, heat, knife, knifemaker, knives, metal, paint, s30v, scale, shop, stainless, steel, supplies, supply, temper, tools