MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-15-2015, 01:09 AM

Green tenite help

Hi guys
Looking this knife, sound all good for you or something wrong?
I mean it is an original green tenite??

Thanks
Andy

Old 11-15-2015, 06:30 PM

Hi Andy!

Welcome to the Knife Network!

The knife you show looks fine to me.

Cheers!

David

Old 11-15-2015, 09:57 PM

It appears to be the REAL DEAL, however I am not the one for final answer...it is however, a fine example!! I believe I've seen this knife before....

:-)Rocky
Old 11-15-2015, 10:13 PM
Skilled

Smile

I do not consider myself an expert, and my knowledge of this topic is purely secondary and drawn from previous publications by other people. As we have discovered, many of the tenants held by the so-called "expert" community about knives from this era have been proved wrong, from sheath manufacture markings and attribution, to blade stamps, etc. However in this case...

At first I was suspicious of this knife because of the molded epoxied tenite with no screws or exposed tang, combined with the harness rivet sheath and yellow paint stone. Gaddis and Wickersham do not mention epoxied (rather than screw) attached tenite, and seem to adopt the progression as follows: exposed tang-screw-attached tenite; exposed tang-screw-attached micarta; hidden tang screw-attached filled hole micarta; hidden tang epoxied micarta.

However, in Hunt: Randall Military Models, p. 95 he discusses and exhibits pictures of an epoxied tenite-handled model 15 without screws and without an exposed tang. He notes that this combination was not made in very many iterations before it was changed to Micarta. He writes the following commentary:

"...Many collectors will seek the earlier extended tang tenites and sometimes overlook the later version with handle epoxied, rather than bolted in place. This variation reflects a step along the way toward standardizing the [knife] and was not made in great numbers. The reason for the change reflects an attempt to stabilize the material, which characteristically shrunk and sometimes warped away from the tang....

".... Notice the color variation in the "green" when compared with tenite handles bolted in place and also the handle length, which is extended in order to accommodate the wrist thong hole at the same location (as the extended tang models) without lengthening the tang itself...."
Though Hunt exhibited and was writing about a Model 15, I think we can safely assume that the same characteristics were evident in Model 14s as well.

The subject knife apparently has an etched rather than stamped blade so no help with dating is available from that characteristic. However, the shrunken pulled back tenite exhibits all the characteristics that caused the adoption of Micarta. Keep in mind that Micarta was a special order material that cost extra, and tenite was still the basic handle provided until about 1965 or so. So... I think this is a legitimate knife and the sheath is correct.

The only question I have is about the stone. Yellow paint supposedly wasn't used until about 1968-69. However I've seen several stones with this paint paired with an obviously older sheath and knife. Draw your own conclusions. Either yellow paint was earlier or a replacement stone was inserted.

By the way. Some "experts" prefer just to answer a question about vintage Randalls with a yes-or-no comment relying on their reputation to make their judgement acceptable. I have always believed it is better to write the reasoning so that others can see your thought process and understand... and also challenge your conclusions. Rocky and Moosehead are excluded from this comment of course - LOL .

Last edited by Jacknola; 11-15-2015 at 11:30 PM.
Old 11-16-2015, 01:05 AM

Thanks guys. I have the Hunt book and i found the pic at pag 94 yeaterday after i posted a question here.
About the stone, you are right but i alse read on another book, dont remember if Gaddish or Wickerman, that stones at factory was in bins and the rules was first in, last out. So it could be possible a mismached stone. It could be. Or simply, some one have replaced it cause it was missing, and choose a wrong one
Old 11-16-2015, 09:10 AM

Hi Jack!

Thanks for excluding me from your comment. But you are right, an explanation is of course much better than a simple thumbs up or down. I was about to close down the computer for the night but decided to give Andy a quick answer so he could sleep well...

Also, I'm certainly not even a so-called "expert" when it comes to these tenite handled Randalls.

However, I saw this knife listed on eBay and recognized the seller as REAL expert Mike Silvey, author of "Knives of the United States Military in Vietnam" published in 1997 by Manrdarin Offset.

This book has great pictures of all kinds of knives including many Randalls ( several tenites too). Therefore I immediately concluded that Andy's knife (he was the purchaser) is legit.

Here's Mike Silvey's description in his listing:

"For auction is an early Randall Model 14 with Tenite handle and Split Back sheath, all original including the sharpening stone. Knife shows little or no use but some evidence of handling and age. This also applies to the sheath. It would be difficult to improve on this specimen. This knife will be featured in a forthcoming book, "SOG Knives and More From America's War in Southeast Asia", to be published by Schiffer Publishing in 2016."

There are also a slew of good photos of the knife in the listing.

By the way Jack, as a Vietnam veteran you would definitely appreciate this book. They are still available on eBay from time to time.

Cheer!

David

Old 11-16-2015, 09:36 AM

Hi David
Thanks for the info. As i live in italy i dont know all the person that gravity arround randall knives and other collectors.
Mike in some emails explained me the story about the knife. But as i like to hear the story from 2 or 3 different bells, i asked here and on other forums.
Now i know i bought a real and good piece of story to add to my rmk collection.
Old 11-16-2015, 08:52 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Andy welcome to this forum but I would like to make something clear to you. With respect to the Knifetalk Forums and this forum there has been some friction from time to time. But the folks over there that explained to you that your knife was good would not mislead you. Some very knowledgable folks gave you some very good information concerning your knife. As well you have gotten some good info from this forum. I just wanted to make that clear to you.
Thanks.
Ronnie
Old 11-17-2015, 12:37 AM

Hi Ronnie
Thanks. Well im only want to know, and learn. Not my intention to create any problems and if i did it, well my applogize

Andy
Old 11-17-2015, 05:40 AM
Skilled

David,
Thanks for the info about the seller of that tenite. I will have to keep my eyes open for the book.
Andy, no apology needed. It's always good to learn as much as we can about these knives. There are very knowledgeable collectors in both of these forums.
As usual Jacknola has done well thought out research on Randall knives.
I hope you enjoy that tenite.
Sam G
Old 11-17-2015, 05:44 AM

Thanks guys
Old 11-19-2015, 03:42 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Totally agree Andy....no apology necessary. Good info on both forums but different personalities that sometime collide. In fact I've had so many collisions I can't get any forum insurance!
Ronnie
Old 11-20-2015, 03:24 PM
Skilled

You are creating a very admirable vintage collection Andy! It's been a pleasure talking and dealing with you! Good luck in your future Randall hunting!
Old 11-20-2015, 04:01 PM

Hahahha Bill, trust me...Im spending a lot of money... but hey... I workig to have money to spend...
It was a plesure for me to email and deal with you also. If u have anything to sell let me know..

About my collection... Im happy to have this randall... This month i bought a #14 black micarta solingen, a 14 epoxy green tenite and a 15 green tenite with a fake sheath... Lot of money... But history is history and things must be take when they come... so... Im happy.
Old 11-20-2015, 04:54 PM
Skilled

Well put Andy. I prefer the vintage Randalls as well, though the shop still does extraordinary work these days too. Great knives, great history. I do have a love for those made before 1960, as those were made at Bo Randall's home on lake Concord.

Enjoy those great knives Andy.

Regards, Sam

Tags
bee, blade, book, case, choose, fixed blade, guard, handles, hidden, hidden tang, hunting, knife, knives, made, micarta, military, paint, randall, screw, sheath, show, small, stamps, stone, tang