MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 06-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Cactusforge

Stabilizing at Home

There have been threads about stabling wood at home listing several meterials I can't find them. Does any one know where thay are. Is any one doing it and what do you use, how much time does it take & ect. Gib
Old 06-03-2002, 07:02 PM
nifeman

Hey Gib, now's my chance to help you!! There's a product put out by Minwax called Woodhardener. I don't know if they have out your way or not. You can check at your local Home Depot store. I know that it's sold at the one where I work. Calvin over on Tims forum says he used it already you might want to check with him also. Hope this helps buddy. BTW I'm gonna post a pic soon of a gun-stock war club I'm working on. It appears to be coming along nicely. Talk at ya later, Bud
Old 06-03-2002, 08:21 PM
The Flaming Blade

I do it with natural pinon pitch. I gently simmer the pitch in a cast iron pot, and submerge the wood into it. The heat and pitch drive off moisture and air and replace them with resin. It seals the wood real well.
Old 06-03-2002, 08:56 PM
Glenn Donly

Run a sink full of your hottest tap water,in a jar big enough to hold the desired piece of wood put Thompsons Water Seal,when the water seal is as hot as the running water put the wood in and seal the lid tightly,let cool.Works well.
Old 06-04-2002, 11:30 PM
Diamond G Knives

Glen, how deep does it penatrate? Should your handle be relativly close to shape? Or would this work for blocks also?

Mike
Old 06-06-2002, 05:53 AM
Glenn Donly

The fellow that put me on to this did it with slab handles cut almost to size,depth of penetration -unknown-
Old 06-06-2002, 06:51 AM
pierho global

what about using a superglue of some sort? it uses water as the catalyst, so it should penetrate deeply, and then lock up all available h2o as it catalizes.

Dan
Old 06-06-2002, 07:07 AM
Sweany

in my experience super glue won't penetrate very far into the wood.

I tried a mix of Thompson's and Minwax wood hardner, the stuff stayed kinda sticky, great grip on the blade but always felt like a kid had just eaten a bag of hard candy while playing with the knife.

Put a handle blank in a jar or ziploc bag ful of the Min wax and wait till it doesn't float. Pull it out and let it dry.

The penetrating Boat builders epoxy is cheaper if you are doing large batches of handles. If you just wanna do a couple the Minwax is the ticket IMHO.

Iv'e used the Thompson's on wood that is hard and have used the Minwax on soft maple to make it hard enough for handles.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:07 AM
JossDelage

There's a tip on that on Don Fogg's site. Look for his shop tips, or use the search engine.

JD
Old 06-07-2002, 09:18 AM
lakemp

I used the following mix on some cherry with pretty good results. I can't remember the knifemakers name, but he gave me this tip:
1/3 part MinWax Wood Hardener (yellow can)
1/3 part Min-spirits (thinner)
1/3 part Linseed Oil (boiled)
Put pieces in mixture in an air-tight container, and I left them in there 24 hours. My handles were just about finished, so I'm not sure about the penetration. He had used it on antler ends and they looked great also. I'm going to try the Thompsons idea posted here too. Thanks!
Larry
Old 06-07-2002, 09:39 AM
pmoore2

Gib, The way I do it is to put your scales in a mason jar with a pin hole in the lid. I have a hand vacuum pump (one man brake bleeder) from Auto Zone. Place Minwax and scales in jar. Pull as much vacuum as you can, around 25. the air will come rushing out. Looks like Alka-selzer. Clamp the vacuum tube and leave overnite. Allow a good day or two in the sun to get rid of the acetone in the minwax. Not like the pros, but does a good job on even spalted wood.
I'll have to try mixing in mineral spirts and linseed.
Paul

Tags
blade, knife