MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-22-2002, 07:03 PM
trail angel

Electrolyte solution

I have an Etch O Matic...do I have to re order a new bottle of electrolyte solution or is there something else that I can use?....what exactly is the 'electrolyte solution'?
Old 04-24-2002, 11:44 AM
Bob Warner

Electrolyte is a chemical composition of various chemicals that allow the electrical current to pass through the stencil, making your mark. Different chemicals react differently to different metals. Therefore one solution cannot be used on varying metals with good results.

Can you make your own?
Probably, if you could determine the proper balance of chemicals for your metal and had the resources to obtain them all. I have not tried to figure them out because frankly the stuff is not that expensive for the length of time it lasts. I look at other places to save cash that can save me more in the long run.

Here is a chart showing what electrolyte to use for what steel from IMG. They may be willing to share the chemical breakdown if you ask but I would be surprised if they did. After all, it is their bread and butter.
IMG's Electrolyte reference table
Old 04-26-2002, 06:53 PM
trail angel

Thanks Bob. I didnt know it was such a complicated solution.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:05 PM
Steelej

Electrolyte Solution

There are many sophisticated solutions ayailable but you can use a solution of table salt (Kosher salt may be better) in water with a drop or two of dish washer to each cupful. Dissolve as much salt as possible in half a cup of hot water and allow it to settle and cool. Carefully pour off the clear solution and add it to at least an equal quantity of clean (preferably distilled) water and add a drop of dishwash (to help wet the etch pad). This solution works on stainless and carbon steel and is suitable for vinyl stencils. I used it with Marking Methods stencis for some time and had no problem with it.
Old 04-27-2002, 08:31 PM
Bob Warner

Re: Electrolyte Solution

Good to know. Thanks for the info.