MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-05-2006, 10:01 PM
Steel Addict

How Do You Center A Belt Loop?

My amature knife sheaths are getting a little better each try. But I am having a problem getting the belt loop centered between the fold-over edge and the welt edge. It seems that after the sheath is all stitched and then formed with the knife inside, the handle thickness throws off my already stitched on belt loop to one side or the other. It really rubs me the wrong way to work hard on a sheath, stitch the belt loop on the back (dead center) and when done the loop is off center throwing the whole job off.

Can you guys tell me how to calculate where to attach the belt loop so it is centered when the whole sheath is done?

Guns, Big Knives, Outdoors www.ramanon.com
Old 04-06-2006, 05:15 AM
Skilled

Steve; I work from a paper pattern developed for each individual knife. The pouch pattern has a center line. The tooling pattern line is offset 1/8 inch toward the back edge of the sheath. On a rt. hand sheath this is to the right and left is left. This now becomes the new center line for the loop. Now I back off the back edge a minimum of 1/2 Inch and make a straight vertical line. This is one margin for the loop. come off the new center line at least1/4 inch and this forms the other margin for the loop. If you form the loop within these two margin lines it may not be exactly centered, but it appears to be in that general area when the sheath is finished. The tail of my loops generally stitches within 1/8 inch if dead center every time and they look very good using this method.

Edited to add: When I start the pattern I lay the knife to the left or right of the initial center line depending on left or right hand sheath, from 1/2 Inch to 5/8 inch or so depending on the handle and scale thickness, and on the welt side I use a wedge at the top of the welt. this combination allows more room at the throat of the sheath to accomodate the thicker handles and scales and makes the loop margins more accurate.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 04-06-2006 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-06-2006, 09:26 AM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Most all of my sheaths are made by folding the leather in the pouch or semi-pouch style and are made with a separate belt loop. The belt loop is sewn on and the welt side is always stitched along with the welted edge. Always make a pattern for your sheath and make trial fits to your knife until it looks right. Poster board is cheap so work your pattern until it is correct, the difference between the pattern and the leather will be minimal as to appearance. Believe me, a poor pattern will relate to a poor sheath. The extra time in making a good fitting, good looking pattern is easily the most inportant part of any sheaths construction. If 30 knives came in to my shop for sheaths, I could expect to make from 25 to 30 patterns-------------and, it does make the difference between a sheath and a CUSTOM SHEATH! The other sheaths, such as the sandwich or standard and the frogged sheaths will self center the belt loops. ---Sandy---

Old 04-07-2006, 08:14 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you both very much for the advice.

I do make patterns from manilla file folders, but a centered belt loop has eluded me.

I will try the tips you've given me. I'll be delighted to have a pouch sheath come out with a centered belt loop.

Old 04-08-2006, 07:21 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavetech
My amature knife sheaths are getting a little better each try. But I am having a problem getting the belt loop centered between the fold-over edge and the welt edge. It seems that after the sheath is all stitched and then formed with the knife inside, the handle thickness throws off my already stitched on belt loop to one side or the other. It really rubs me the wrong way to work hard on a sheath, stitch the belt loop on the back (dead center) and when done the loop is off center throwing the whole job off.

Can you guys tell me how to calculate where to attach the belt loop so it is centered when the whole sheath is done?
Answer me this question and I will answer yours - is your loop a totally separate piece of leather or a loop that is integral with the sheath body?

Old 04-08-2006, 07:46 AM

Steve, here's something you can try which should solve your problem. Make a paper pattern as Paul and Sandy suggest (posterboard, being thicker than paper, might give youa truer fit), then take a piece of medium weight scrap leather (mabe from an earlier atempt?) and make another pattern! Compare the leather pattern to the paper pattern and see how much the two might differ. This should give you a good idea of how much allowance to make in future patterns.
A lot of fitting leather has to do with measurements and exact patterns, and a lot of it has to do with trial and error

Mike

Old 04-08-2006, 12:11 PM
Skilled

Great info, folks. Keeps us untalented types enthused enough to keep trying.

- Jim
Old 04-10-2006, 09:07 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike T.
Answer me this question and I will answer yours - is your loop a totally separate piece of leather or a loop that is integral with the sheath body?
Hi Mike:

I have made belt loops both ways. They were never centered and I find it frustrating.

After reading this thread I should do better.

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMike
Steve, here's something you can try which should solve your problem. Make a paper pattern as Paul and Sandy suggest (posterboard, being thicker than paper, might give youa truer fit), then take a piece of medium weight scrap leather (mabe from an earlier atempt?) and make another pattern! Compare the leather pattern to the paper pattern and see how much the two might differ. This should give you a good idea of how much allowance to make in future patterns.
A lot of fitting leather has to do with measurements and exact patterns, and a lot of it has to do with trial and error

Mike
I'll try this, Mike. I have kept my manilla patterns and the loops have evolved. Sheaths work out OK. Loops are the problem since every knife is different.

Old 04-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavetech
Hi Mike:
I have made belt loops both ways. They were never centered and I find it frustrating.
Here is how to do them perfectly.

For the "integral" loop - cut a strap of leather. Wrap around the top of the knife. Mark exactly where you want the loop and how wide you want it. Mark the width of the rough sheath blank you're going to cut out. Unfold the strap. This has the markings of the top edge of your sheath with the exact position of the loop. When you cut out the blank - soak and fold/mold the blank to the knife with the loop JUST where you want it.

For a "separate" loop - Cut out a blank. Soak, mold and let dry. Place knife in the rough sheath. Place the loop exactly where you want it. Scribe around it lightly with an awl. Glue loop in place. Sew. Carry on building sheath (inserting welt, sewing up etc).

Here are the pics of all this - of course in the last pic the sheath has been finished. It just shows the accuracy of the separate loop -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sheath.jpg (30.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg sheath 006.jpg (37.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg sheath 008.jpg (24.8 KB, 52 views)

Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Steel Addict

Hi Mike:

A picture is worth a thousand words. That's a big help.

You have all pointed my in the right direction. Thank you.

Now, to decide which knife needs a a nice new sheath..........

Tags
blade, knife, knives