MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 11-17-2001, 11:43 PM
William

Blade coatings?

What is the best way to make a fixed blade non reflective?

I have was thinking along the lines of the black coating used on Ka-bars. Also bead blasting is not an option as I am refering to carbon blades.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:41 AM
Don Cowles

In the absence of specialized equipment for nitriding, powder coating, TI coating, and so on, satin finishing will take the sparkle off.
Old 11-18-2001, 06:29 PM
William

Blade coatings?

Don, sory I didn't make myself clear, I am looking for some type of bake on or paintable black coating for tac. knives, also carbon steels rust fairly easily with satin or bead blasted finishes and are still shinny.

I am not adverse to sending out for treatment, just wondering which would be best, the coating on Ka bars is an epoxy and is fairly durable.

What I am trying to come up with is a simple, nearly industructible, ugly hard use combat knife, something like a Kabar on steriods.

Also I am not a big fan of Ti. coatings.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2001, 07:49 PM
Don Cowles

If Rob will chime in here, he can probably point you in the right direction.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:13 PM
JerryO13

Boron Carbide, contact darrellGLewis@cs.com he does it for Kershaw, Benchmade and other companies. You can get either a matte (dull) or glossy finish.
Old 11-19-2001, 06:40 PM
primos

I wouldn't necessarily rule out bead blasting completely if you are set up to do it. I know of several bladesmiths who have done bead blast finishes on forged carbon steel blades.

I'm almost positive that Don Fogg told me he once bead blasted or sand blasted a piece of his work I can't recall if it was a knife or a sword.

I've seen several bead blasted blades from J.R. Cook (another mastersmith) as well.
Old 11-23-2001, 07:10 PM
aiiifish

Try Brownell's. They have several bake on coatings, from baking lacquer to teflon moly coatings in a bunch of colors. I have used them all gunsmithing before I started knifemaking. They are easy to use and are fairley durable. If you are able to bead or aluminum oxide blast before coating they last better but a 100 to 150 grit finish works also. Also your friendly neighborhood kitchen oven is all you need to cure them. www.brownells.com/index.html
Good luck and have fun. Fish
Old 11-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Sylvester

Try Gun Kote- black & gray I think
Old 11-25-2001, 10:45 PM
William

Thanks for the info guys, I'll let you know how it goes, still got several orders to fill first.
Old 12-12-2001, 05:07 PM
lottforgenbladeworkz

satin finish and use "tool black" ..
its just another option...

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives