MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 08-29-2008, 01:03 PM
Skilled

Questions About The Loveless City and StiffHorn Knives

Steve, I have some questions about the Loveless City and StiffHorn Knives. First of all are the tangs tapered? I have seen photos but can't tell from the photos. Are the bolsters 2 pieces and what material are they made of? Are there thumb serrations on top and bottom of the knives or none at all? Are the lanyard holes on both knives 1/4" or is the city knife smaller? I apologize for all the questions but a customer of mine wants one of each made and I can't find any info on the web about these knives, the only thing I can find is the overall length and blade length of each knife so I have had to look at the few photos I could find and come up with a pattern on my own which is what I do with all the Loveless designs that I make since I have never met Bob and have no access to his shop or patterns, I probably won't ever meet him anyway but he is an interesting man to say the least. He doesn't bother much with the Internet or email so I am glad you are here because you are very helpful and don't seem to mind answering questions. Thanks again for any info you are able to provide.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHNorfleet
Steve, I have some questions about the Loveless City and StiffHorn Knives. First of all are the tangs tapered? I have seen photos but can't tell from the photos. Are the bolsters 2 pieces and what material are they made of? Are there thumb serrations on top and bottom of the knives or none at all? Are the lanyard holes on both knives 1/4" or is the city knife smaller? I apologize for all the questions but a customer of mine wants one of each made and I can't find any info on the web about these knives, the only thing I can find is the overall length and blade length of each knife so I have had to look at the few photos I could find and come up with a pattern on my own which is what I do with all the Loveless designs that I make since I have never met Bob and have no access to his shop or patterns, I probably won't ever meet him anyway but he is an interesting man to say the least. He doesn't bother much with the Internet or email so I am glad you are here because you are very helpful and don't seem to mind answering questions. Thanks again for any info you are able to provide.
I'll do what I can:

Tangs are tapered, as usual.

Bolsters can be either one that is slotted and slips up into a slot in the tang, this is most common and probably the standard for Bob's knives of this type. He often checkers the bottom of the ever-so-slightly extended bolster/guard. It's almost just a bump that extends below the tang. They can also be two piece.

Usually the serration, though optional, are on the bottom, rarely, if ever, that I've seen, on top.

I'm sure both lanyard holes are 1/4", though f you wanted to make the screws and the tube smaller on the city, especially if you're doing a pair, that'd be great.

It might be wise to contact Mike Lovett for more, up-to-date information. He'll be glad to help.

Good luck!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 08-29-2008 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:27 PM
Skilled

Steve, I did ask Mike Lovett a couple of questions on another thread in another forum and since then have reposted the questions but no answer so far and it has been a while so I just assume that he isn't going to answer or he just didn't get the posts in his email. I appreciate your getting back with me so quickly. You have helped me a lot and I don't think I will have any problems in making these knives. One last question, how thick is the steel that you use? I was going to use 1/8" on the city knife and 3/32" on the stiffhorn.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:47 PM

I'm afraid that Mike is getting so buried in orders for his Loveless Connection knives. He does great work. Thanks. Hope this forum is of some help to someone now and then.

Both were originally done in 3/16" stock.

I often use either 3/16" and 1/8" for both. If we go with 3/16" I sometimes grind the blade down to about 1/8". You can safely go with 3/16" on the SH and 1/8" on the City. Or go to 5/32" on the SH, that is a really nice thickness. What steel? CPM-154 is the bomb!

http://www.srjknives.com
NRA Endowment Member
Knifemakers' Guild Member since 1971
"May you live all the days of your life." - Jonathan Swift

Last edited by Steve; 08-30-2008 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Skilled

Thanks for all the help Steve. You are right about the CPM-154 it truly is the bomb!!! Some real good stuff for knives. Seems to be a lot better than the ATS-34 I have used before.

Old 09-01-2008, 06:10 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Hope this forum is of some help to someone now and then.
That's a huge understatement! Thanks for hosting this forum Steve, I've learned a lot from it.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Enthusiast

Well I was finally able to get on the Forum here. My server went down and have been locked out ever since.

Sorry I haven't seen your question until today. If it was BF that you ask the question on, I can not receive e-mails or private messages there.

Steve has hit he nail on the head. I think I would like to make a few with smaller bolts on the City Knife in particular. Just looks right.

Bob and Jim use pins mostly. As Do I. I think the Mini Bolts would look Great!!

I am using the one peace bolster now days. Before I had a mill I just used a two piece bolster set up. Works just fine, but you have to be very careful to get them lined up correctly.

I really like 3/16 for the Stiff Horn, then ground down in the blade so that it looks a little like a bottle neck rifle round when viewed from the top. This Is how the Loveless Shop does it. 1/8" looks very clean with out this feature. The city can use 1/8 done the same way, or even 3/32" without this feature. Still looking very clean. I had some 5/32" in the shop for a while that made very good looking Stiff Horns!

I've been using a smaller thong tube than 1/4". Just can't remember what size at the moment. Seems like it was one size smaller as picked up at the local remote air plane model shop. (Hobby Shop)

One killer source for thong hole tubing is your local archery shop. Arrow shafts are hardened 7075 Alu. with a t-6 heat treat. They polish like glass. And there are a huge selection of sizes. It cost more,but VERY good quality!

Mike

Tags
blade, knife, knives