MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:59 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I think you're exactly right about the bevels although I know some will disagree. Also, the foil has to come off to effectively quench in oil, otherwise you have a built in vapor barrier. But, if you grind post HT then you can skip the foil whether you use oil or plate quench because you will grind off all the crap anyway. So many ways to do the job and all of them work but some work considerably better than others ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-12-2016, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCom View Post
Good stuff Ricky. Thanks for posting details. Any performance notes?

I used to use foil and copper plate quench. After a chat with old-timer Ed Storch, I am now using a product called Condursal Z1100 (coating) and oil quenching. It makes a noticeable difference in hardness. At minimum the number of spent ceramic belts I have hanging on the wall has increased in recent weeks.

;-)

Dan
Dan
Where can you buy Condursal Z1100? Just looked on the net and came up with zero. Ed
Old 01-12-2016, 08:55 AM
Skilled

Ya, not easy to come by. I bought a can from Met-Tech (metallurgy testing & lab supplies) in Calgary, Alberta. If you can find a place that handles The Duffy Company's line. It may be wiser to look for it locally as I believe it's considered dangerous goods.

There are other brands out there. Not sure how they work, but someone here should know.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Skilled

Update, The knife has been used every day in my restaurant and it has become my prep cooks favorite knife. I was gone for a week in Cancun, so it had no sharpening or touch up during that time. He was slicing soft tomatoes with it with ease still this morning. Then I touched up the edge with a stone and strop.

Tags
aeb-l, blade, bocote, buy, chef knife, chefs knife, gun, handle, handle material, heat, heat treat, kitchen, kitchen knives, knife, knives, make, maker's mark, making, material, mobile, post, steel, tang, video, wood