MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quiver and bow case

Still dealing with some chronic health issues (and other things) that have slowed me way down, but I finally got something done....

This is a pre-1850 quiver and bow case made of heavy brain tanned elk with early Cheyenne style pound bead work. Other deco includes fringe, brass beads, tin cones, horse and human hair. The base of the quiver is made of 5/16" thick neck hide the arrow points from dulling with an outer cover of rawhide to keep the points from poking through.

While not a direct copy it is based on several originals

A belated Christmas gift it's a companion piece to this SW style knife and sheath and Cheyenne style pipe bag ---

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 AM
Skilled

Chuck, what can anyone say that has not been said before. Simply awesome work and an inspiration to all of us who work leather. Thank you for sharing. Hope the health continues to improve.

Old 07-10-2012, 06:58 AM

Too much in one thread Chuck!
I can't scroll through it fast enough to see it all the way I want!
Really nice.
Glad you are feeling better, at least enough to do nice work like that. Do hope you recover completely.

I know you sent it to me before - many moons have passed. What was your source for the brass tacks?

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks guys - funny thing is about 10 years ago I came close to quitting doing any frontier gear with bead work which had always been my first love since age 8 (I'm 59) - I had gone off in another more modern direction for a while with my leather work and then on top of that my brother in-law got invalided and I gave him my beading stuff for therapy. A couple months after that though I got some longhorn beef stew bones from a neighbor and after boiling the meat down I found a hock bone that just sort of screamed war club to me. I asked a friend, knife maker Gib Guignard, if he wanted to forge a blade for me and then we decided to do a companion knife and sheath. That re-fired my 40+ year passion for "frontier" gear - due to my back issues I also found it was easier on my bod then the heavy stamping and tooling work I had gotten into and now I prefer doing this type work more than anything else and so far the fire in my gut is still burning bright - it was my first love and looks like it will stay that way.

Here's the set Gib (RIP mi amigo) collaborated on -

I added a piece of deer antler to the hock bone for a handle and made it into a quirt/club. The knife has deer leg bone handle with a piece of deer antler for a bolster. The bead work is in the pre-1850 Absaroka style.

Carl I mostly use the brass headed steel shank tacks from Crazy Crow - mostly the 5/16" low dome, but when doing early work and I want the square shank solid brass tacks I get them from www.thetrunkshoppe.com, but they aren't cheap. Also they are soft so you need to pre-drill holes and then set them with a dome head tool or they will flatten out - for these I use the 7 or 8 mm size mostly.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 07-12-2012, 04:42 AM

Thanks Chuck. Think I remember you emailing me the link on the period correct ones from the Trunk place, but I guess I hid the link in a "good" place.
You ever get anything done with the green ash?

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry to hear about your continuing health issues, but always happy when you post new work.

Great story about how you "wandered" back into this style. Sometimes you just end up where you're meant to be.

Tags
antler, arrow, awesome, back, bee, blade, brass, chris, christmas, drill, forge, handle, knife, knives, leather, made, post, sheath, sheaths, steel