MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 07-13-2002, 07:58 PM

Basic, Basic, Basic Tools

Tim, Jim and Other pro engravers,

Is there a short list, the absolute minumum, of tools that one would need to start learning to do simple scroll engraving.

And if possible the best sources for these tools and practice plates.

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-13-2002, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Bob:
Here are the very basics to get started engraving.
#1. a good rotating vice system of some sort
#2. good lighting
#3. hand tools, a square graver w/handle, and a flat graver w/handle
#4. A good light whight lube, Tap Magic works good for me
#5. Sharpening stones and emery paper

some other things to consider would be a good sturdy work bench, and maybe some magnafacation ( optivisor ) and a grinder for shaping the tool shanks

Bob I have seen some truly wonderfull work done with just these basic tools, although some of us who have been engraving for many years will accumulate many tools for speacail needs I would say that at least 90% of the work is allways done with those basic tools we started with I hope this helps Bob..........

Hope I haven't forgot anything
Old 07-13-2002, 09:04 PM

Thanks, Darren

It looks like the rotating vice is the basis for good scrolls. I'll have to save up and get a good one. I like to buy the best that I can. Good tools never go away and definately help developing proper technique. Nothing like having to unlearn bad habits.

I get lots of supplies from Brownells and I know that they have gravers, but is there a better supplier for these tools? Also how about chasing hammers? What weight? or is most work done strictly by hand?

Bob Sigmon

Last edited by Bob Sigmon; 07-13-2002 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 09:06 PM
Sam Wereb

Thumbs up

I can't say it enough: I love this forum!
Old 07-13-2002, 09:08 PM

Sam,

You can say that again!

BTW, Great Newsletter! Very sharp!

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-13-2002, 09:47 PM
Skilled

Hi Bob:
You are right about the engravers vice.!!
And yes Brownnells will have everthing you need, if you have a good relationship with them then buy all means stick with them,
you might find the same thing some where else for a buck or two less sometimes, but Brownnells has allways been a good Co.

OBTW make sure you buy the Momax gravers if you plane on trying your hand with engraving steels, and really hard steels you might need the use of carbide gravers, but you should be fine with the Momax.

Bob most of my work is done useing hand gravers. I have never had the oppertunity to learn the chasing methid of engraving. when I do need some big power I just kick on the gravermax, but that is used mostly as a papper whight.

And get your self a copy of The Art of Engraving by Meeks.
Darren
Old 07-13-2002, 09:53 PM

Darren,

Thanks for the advice on the gravers. I'll pick up some real soon.
I just got the Meeks book and plan to start reading it next week!

Y'all are the best!

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-13-2002, 10:06 PM
Guru

Bob,
When I started, I ordered everything through Brownells' and Ray Viramontez. Vise, gravers, plates, handles, etc. Ray doesn't operate "Hand Engravers Supply" anymore. If I was starting from "scratch" these would be my "if I only knew then what I know now" choices:

After I make or purchase a vise..........

*Ceramic med. & fine sharpening stones.
*A simple grinder with a coarse wheel--slow speed preferable. For grinding the face angle on the graver.
*Crocker graver sharpener. Sets a consistent face angle on the graver. Use with stones.
*3/32"X 4" long high speed steel or equivalent square graver stock. 2 or 3 on hand to eliminate sharpening after you break the tip off of the one you're using.
*Comfortable handles for graver mounting. For hammer/chisel engraving--Make them to fit your hand. Hardwood doweling will do--check with the woodworker suppliers.
*Chasing hammer. Now, the regular size chasing hammer is a bit heavy for engraving. You can anneal the head, grind some of the bulk off to lighten it and then re-harden and re-handle it. Shave down the neck of the handle to lend a bit of springyness to the hammer blow. This will make a more "user friendly" hammer.
*Plates. Hobby supply shops sometime offer brass and copper plates with a protected side. Another choice would be to visit your local sheet metal shop, tell them what you're doing and ask for steel door skin scrap. Have this cut to the size plates you want.
*Magnification. Optivisor would be the best economy model. Remember to select the magnification for the focal distance you want to work at. High power puts your nose too close to the work for practical purposes--unless you're into nose piercing!
*Lighting. North light is nice if you can get it. Several flex-lamps are handy.
*Bench. Stable and securely bolted to everything! Vibration is our "nemisis"!
*Lube. I use it ocassionally. Fine light oil.
*Basic drafting kit. Ovals, circles, french curve, dividers, etc. Everything is lay-out!
*PATIENCE, PRACTICE AND A WILLINGNESS TO PERSEVERE!
*Philosophy. "The journey of a thousand leagues begins with one small step".---- Confucius

Enjoy the "Journey"!
Tim

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 07-13-2002 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 10:55 PM

Tim
Your list is darn near perfect. I am sure you made some of you tools just as I did.

I can remember the first chasing hammer I made. The one that I got from Brownells was a little hefty. I took a piece of 3/4 inch round ( O1 ) bar stock and drill a hole to center then cut off a piece of the bar stock about 1 1/4 inches long. I heat treated it with a torch to cherry red and quenched it in oil. Hard, Hard, Hard......... cleaned it up and drew it to color.....light purple. I faced it and polished it and it worked like a charm. I like you, Tim, made my first vise and stand. The first gravers were made from Enders Punches and I made my own from D-2. If the Enders punches wern't hard enough I re-heat treated them. I suppose where I'm going with this reply is......it is important to start at the bottom and work and study your way up the engraving ladder.....basic,basic,basic.

Most of us use the GRS System or the Steve Lindsey System and they are great. I would have a hard time reverting back to the old system. Occasionally I do use the hand graver to engrave 24k gold inlay work....very soft you know. I use carbide for just about all my gravers.....I'm sure you will agree, if I tried to use carbide with a chasing hammer, I would be spending most of my time sharpening points. I still wonder sometimes if I had the patience to do it by hand again. It probably would take a while to get back on track. If I get some extra time I may give it a try......maybe.

Jim

Advice:
The word "no" should be used sparingly, and never without giving a reason. " Because I said so" and "because we've always done it this way" are not valid reasons.

R.E. Lee
Old 07-13-2002, 11:25 PM
Skilled

Bob

An alternative to a rotating vise is a standup vise. When I started engraving, this is what I used, and did so for several years. I think European enrgaver may still engrave using this method. I simply bolted an 8x8 oak beam to the basement floor using pieces of angle iron. I then bolted a cheap drill press vise to the post. Rather than rotating your work, you move about your work. A bit of advise: If you buy ready to use gravers, study the geometry of the point before using. This may help you when you need to resharpen. If you have Meek's book, study the point as you read about it, visual aids make things more clear. Grinding and sharpening your gravers can be difficult to understand.

Good luck
Brian
Old 07-13-2002, 11:36 PM
Guru

Jim,
You know, I actually miss the sound of the tap, tap, tapping of the hammer/chisel! There's a medatative quality to it. After thinking about this thread-- I'm gonna' use the hammer and chisel a bit more in my work, just to keep my hand in it and because I need that calmness now and then!
Tim
Old 07-13-2002, 11:41 PM

Back to the basics......here, here, Tim......good idea!

Jim

Last edited by Jim Small; 07-13-2002 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:58 PM
Guru

Jim,
Yeah, I think that with all that goes on around us in the world and with our personal and professional concerns--- I'm never as "centered" than when I'm at my bench and engraving on whatever project is at hand. When I'm in the "zone", time flys by and I'm totally in the "present". It's not the tools--it's the doing. Maybe that's what is truly meant by a "labor of love".
Tim

Thanks Bob, you gave me a new direction with "my" journey.

Last edited by Tim Adlam; 07-14-2002 at 12:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2002, 11:27 AM

Gentlemen,

Thanks to all for the replies! I'll be getting started on my accumulation of tools and really appreciate your lists. I love getting tool, but I like getting the most useful tools even better.

Bob Sigmon
Old 07-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Guru

Bob,
We're gonna' make a "Jedi Engraver" out of you yet!
Ob'wan