MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 05-25-2012, 10:24 AM
Master

Canoe Knife/Logo Knife

Forgive the poor photography. So I told myself the only time I would dabble in stainless steel is if I went back to guide canoe trips in Manitoba. Well, I'm going back.

At first I wasn't thrilled with this design. I had some 1/8" ATS34 left over from a long time ago and needed to make this knife cheap so didn't order the 3/16" that I am accustomed to. I cranked the blade out quick to get it sent off for HT. I was hoping to use my new bronze on this one but haven't quite figured it out yet so used brass. Birch bark handle.

Now that its finished I really do like the design and intend to make a few more. As far as execution goes, I am quite satisfied with any part regarding function. However, aesthetically I skimped. On purpose. Hand sanded MOST of the grind marks off the blade. Sanded MOST of the 80 grit marks on the handle. Only finished the brass to 220. But I did that on purpose because 1) it doesn't affect function, I'm not selling it, and I know its going to get tested hard on that Canadian granite 2) if its too nice I will be hesitant to really use it 3) needed the time to work on other knives

Its also the knife I'm using for my new logo, with the latest draft shown. Still working on a better photo to work from.

Old 05-26-2012, 04:17 AM
Steel Addict

Eli

That is a good looking knife just the way it is, and I totally understand the reasoning for not making it what I call A Spit and Polish Knife. If you are making anything to be used, you just need it to function.

I also agree it would have been better to have 3/16 steel but sometimes we all use what we have, especially if its for our own use.

As always thanks for posting this knife, keep up the great work and have a safe trip when you go back to Manitoba.

Jeff

Tags
blade, brass, design, handle, knife, make, photography, polish, stainless steel, steel